Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So... Just how much shop time do you get???

As much as I can. I travel a lot so not at all when out of town. I am an early bird so usually up at 5 on the weekends and the wife has to call me for lunch and then I usually knock off at 5 pm. If my social director hasn't made plans for me it will be like that Saturday and Sunday most weekends more in the spring and summer when the weather is better.

My buddy who is retired spends most of every day in his garage (he's a car guy).

Mike

I'm IT as well but don't let work get in the way if I can help it . Normally I spend winters down in the basement shop and summers on the golf course or my Harley. Managed to smack the Harley up the other day and have a broken ankle to show for it. So once I can get moving around I'll be in the basement allot this summer. No kids for me so I can get a good 12 hours a week in there if I put my mind to it. More if I have a pressing need.

I'm pretty flexible with my schedule. I am an IT pro for small businesses around my area that don't have IT departments. So if I don't have anything pressing, I get to work from home. I set my computer up on loud volume so I can hear if I get an email and I keep the garage door open. I can get a full 6-8 hours in the garage in a day if I can wing it.

Of course, 6-8 hours can burn ya out, so I try to keep it down to 3-4 unless I have a big project or a lot of little ones. Then I burn myself out with the 6-8. I don't get to do a lot on the weekends. I play baseball on Sundays and spend time with the wife on Saturdays. No kids so I get to work at my leisurely pace.

But other days, like today, I was at work at 5am and got off at 7 pm. Ya win some, ya lose some.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Two words:

NOT ENOUGH.

My projects have piled up, and it has been a year and a half since I really got to use the shop. (family medical issue, work, work, MORE WORK). I feel like (and probably could) like I have been working 6 to 7 days a week (did 7/362 for three years).
    Now I have been trying (and just starting to find time), yet having problems knowing where to begin and trying to clean out/up the shop. (let alone odd hours so not trying to work tired).

Yeah I like 12 to 8 for the most part. The 10% is there plus if we have an N-day it goes up a bit more. Anything to pay the taxes around here. I left construction splicing and am now a FIOS installer/repairman.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

i'm lucky if I get 2 hours a week. I have a 6 and a 2 year old and they occupy most of my time.

I actually went Neander so I could work while they were playing around me. only downside to that is they want to HELP all the time now which means I work with them to drill a hole or saw a board that is not part of a project. slows me down a whole lot but it's nice to have them doing something I like instead of the other way around. There is only so much Tag, hide & seek, coloring and spongebob and dora I can take.

Maybe 6

My shop time is devoted to remodeling the shop. With spring in full swing(yard work, gardening, etc.) and few other higher priority projects around the house, I'm averaging around 6 hours (4-6 on Saturday and 0-2 on Sundays). Recently we agreed to board some horses on a small pasture we own. I looked at the horses and said to myself, they may look like horses to you, but in 12 months, they look like a ClearVue dust collector to me. Then I just read that ClearVue is calling it quits. So now I'm thinking that a DIY Bill Pentz cyclone build may be in my future. At six hours per week - that could be a several month project for me. Though I am also intrigued by the Phil Thien separator approach. I've got lot's of time to decide.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 05-05-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Yup, same here... I have been remodeling my shop since October!!! It's coming along quite well. Obviously also taking a while. Although technically I shouldn't say I am 'remodeling' when it is actually a first real shop for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    My shop time is devoted to remodeling the shop. With spring in full swing(yard work, gardening, etc.) and few other higher priority projects around the house, I'm averaging around 6 hours (4-6 on Saturday and 0-2 on Sundays). Recently we agreed to board some horses on a small pasture we own. I looked at the horses and said to myself, they may look like horses to you, but in 12 months, they look like a ClearVue dust collector to me. Then I just read that ClearVue is calling it quits. So now I'm thinking that a DIY Bill Pentz cyclone build may be in my future. At six hours per week - that could be a several month project for me. Though I am also intrigued by the Phil Thien separator approach. I've got lot's of time to decide.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Up until I retired in Oct. of 2007 I got 2-3 hours an evening and 6-8 on weej-ends. Since.. 10-12 hours a day until last October but.. have scaled back to noon to 6 PM on week-days as the first 12 carcass pieces on my wife's requisition list are done. Still four more pieces requested but 6 hours a day is enough as I have other things of priority...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

When I'm "in" a project, I'll get anywhere from and hour to four hours at a shot in the shop. Everything has to be balanced with work (technical sales in the telecom business), family obligations such as cooking, laundry, cleaning, lawn care, landscaping, etc., and my other avocation in the equestrian world. So when I do get in the shop, I try to keep it pretty focused.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The question is how much home time do I get.

I make my living in the shop. So I get 50-70 hours a week.

I try to get about an hour or so a day most of the time but on weekends my wife knows where to find me.I just wish my shop was a little closer to the house.It's about 200ft away.The only good thing about being that far away is that it doesn't bother anyone else with the noise issue.,but I hate the walk.My old shop was about 30ft away and I lived in there alot more.
    Donny

But the question was "for those who don't".

I do, as a teacher. I usually come in early and put in an hour for me. In the winter I put in 1-3 at home per day. In the summer in Houston, I just wish for cooler weather. No, really, about 5 hrs a week in the summer, more if I actually have something to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Johnson View Post
    I usually get several hours (3-5) most weekends. Currently I'm working on a large project (11 ft long pirate bed) that takes up most of my space. So working on it is hassle as I need time to move stuff out to the drive way. I would probably get more done during the weeknights if I didn't have to do all this rearranging.
    I built this for my son a few years ago. Now I've got to work on a castle bed for my daughter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Two words:

NOT ENOUGH.

That was my answer too! Like most of you, if I'm working on something I try to spend as much time as possible. Mainly weekends. But I work 4pm-12:30am and my shop is in the garage. I can't wake up my better half to run the big tools, I mainly try to do as much hand, layout and prep work as possible so I can go to it first thing the next day. I always think of Norm saying "Well, good morning!" the next day.