Thread: Leaf spring turning tools?

Leaf spring turning tools?

I have leaf springs from an automobile available to me. What kind of tools could be made from them? And what kind of steel are they? Will I have to harden it after I shape it? David

I don't know of any turning tools but...
    Roy Underhill (Woodwright Shop) used one to make a froe to split log sections.
    It already has the eye for the handle.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Lesseee... I believe it was Don Weber over in Tennessee that would take leaf springs and blacksmith turning tools from them for classes in third world countries. He's also put together a turning lathe with pillow block bearings and hardware store fittings...

You could contact him from his website: http://www.handcraftwoodworks.com/

Or you could get a copy of Weyger's blacksmithing books and go to town...

There is a member (Jim King) here who lives down in some jungle who wrote about using car and truck springs. Here is an example. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59803

Evidently he makes all kinds of scrapers and such. I believe he wrote that he doesn't cut the spring, and by the pic in that thread, I guess it's so.

Anyway, his last post was on 4/28/2010, so he is still active. Shoot him a message.

Back in the dark ages of woodturning, the only tools available to buy were spindle turning tools. If you wanted to turn bowls, and I did, then you made your own tools. This was long before the bowl gouge. I made a very good heavy duty scraper from a car leaf spring. I took it to the local blacksmith to shape it the way I wanted it and to temper it. Did a great job for me.

I'll add however that I wouldn't spend much money on a leaf spring tool. Today's range of HSS tools makes for better tools.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 05-04-2010 at 7:02 PM.

My Bro in Law used a leaf spring and made me a very nice 1 1/2" roughing gouge. I think that skews and scrapers would be good made from a leaf spring too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Warkentin View Post
    I have leaf springs from an automobile available to me. What kind of tools could be made from them? And what kind of steel are they? Will I have to harden it after I shape it? David
    David,

A lot of leaf springs were 5160, which has .60% carbon. They can be anneal, shaped, hardened,and tempered.

I have made many turning tools out of such material. Mainly, I make heavy scraping tools, swan neck tools and skew tools.

As Wally said, there better materials out there. Hey, if you want to make your own tools, go for it!

I take pride in making my tools, I'm a retired toolmaker and a blacksmith at heart.

Bob Haverstock

Thanks everyone. I want to make a skew. And the prices for steel from MSC are such that I might as well buy one ready made. But I can get leaf springs for free so thought I might as well try it. I did make a one quarter inch skew out of keystock yesterday and turned an osage orange handle for it. Now I need to try it out real good. David

David,

Bob is correct on the 5160. At work, we make a lot leaf springs for locomotives and for the agricultural industry, all 5160.

The problem with using them for turning tools is the hardness. We usually harden these parts to around 40-44 Rc, which is great for the purpose of leaf springs. However, it's just not hard enough to keep a sharp edge for very long. You can get it harder, but it becomes fairly brittle.

HSS is really the way to go with turning tools, especially with a skew.

Just my thoughts.

Matt