Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a small piece of brass

I need a small piece of brass

I need a small piece of brass rod cut fairly thin. Im waiting to hear back from a metal vendor but I thought Id ask if anyone knows any other options where I could get such a thing? Ideas?

Depending on the size - go to a hobby store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Westover View Post
    I need a small piece of brass rod cut fairly thin. Im waiting to hear back from a metal vendor but I thought Id ask if anyone knows any other options where I could get such a thing? Ideas?
    Ace Hardware has all kinds of small brass, rods, flats, squares.

Check for local metal suppliers. We have one. I would also call machine shops in the area.

I once needed some 0.003" brass shim stock to shim a mechanical part on an MR scanner. I went to a local machine shop. The manager walked out into the shop and came back with an 8"x10" sheet of said shim stock. He told me I was welcome. I asked the price. He said we'd get it the next time. You can bet, I have taken business to him and steered business to him.

Met him later at a Christmas party. His wife and mine are co-workers and good friends. Hmmmmmm.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-06-2010 at 1:11 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What is 'small' and 'fairly thin'? Something small for an earthmover or small for a Rolex?

The size I need is 7/8" diameter, 1/16" thick. Ill check the hobby store, but I dont believe our little Ace has brass rod. Thanks.

I'll second what others have said but, if you're this is something you might need again, you might order from speedymetals. I bought what is probably a lifetime supply of brass and copper rod and bar stock from them for about $75 IIRC. They have a great selection and their web site is very easy to use.

I have no affiliation with them - just a positive experience.

www.mcmaster.com and I get it the next day on a regular ground ups charge and I can order up until 5:30 and still get it the next day. Metal prices are fair. For larger quantities I have other sources.

What about using brass welding rods cut to the length you need?

Dave,
    If what you need is 1/16" thick, try a brass door kickplate. You can often find them in the damaged section at the BORG, and a bent corner wont affect your needs at all.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You will never find brazing rod at 7/8" thick. Get a piece of 1/16" thick sheet and rough cut it with whatever and turn it between two blocks on your lathe. You can turn this stuff by hand on a wood lathe. Another idea is a brass tag for keys or animal collar.

Ok, could you go with 1 in. x 1/16 disc.

http://www.smallparts.com/Brass-Type..._rd_s=center-3

My little Ace Hardware carries such brass.

If bronze will work I can just part a piece off some bearing stock for you. Looks about the same maybe a touch redder looking.

Sometimes if our looking for schims and the like a old feeler gauge set works well.
    I would just look in the plumbing section for something brass or go to a lock shop they have alot of brass tags that would work well.
    Chad
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.