Thread: finish for cherry, oak, walnut.

finish for cherry, oak, walnut.

I'm making small keepsake boxes for christmas gifts and I thought I would ask for opinions for what type of finish to put on. Each box will be made from one species of wood, I couldn't decide if it would look good to mix these types of wood so I think I'll just stick to one species per box. what finishes would you choose?

Here is the link to the design of the boxes:
    http://www.grampasworkshop.net/box-by-router.html

Thanks,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed
    I'm making small keepsake boxes for christmas gifts and I thought I would ask for opinions for what type of finish to put on. Each box will be made from one species of wood, I couldn't decide if it would look good to mix these types of wood so I think I'll just stick to one species per box. what finishes would you choose?

Here is the link to the design of the boxes:
    http://www.grampasworkshop.net/box-by-router.html

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Stephen,

You may want to visit the other finishing question that was posted today. There is some good ideas listed there....in addition to what you will get here of coarse.

Stephen - thanks for posting such a good article on making these boxes - it looks like fun. I do think mixing woods would look nice on these boxes.

What do you do with the insides - do you flock them or leave them natural?

Again - very nice project!!
    Betsy

I haven't really decided what to do on the inside. I had thought about putting in something like a velour fabric, but I hate to cover up the wood. What is flocking?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sebed
    I haven't really decided what to do on the inside. I had thought about putting in something like a velour fabric, but I hate to cover up the wood. What is flocking?

Stephen
    I have used Suede Tex and the mini-flocker tube from.. Rockler or woodcraft, i forget which.

You basically just coat the surface you want covered in type of adhesive normally the same color as the fibers you want to use and once coated you shoot the fibers onto it and shake out the excess. You are left with it being covered perfectly with the fibers exactly where you want it. Sure beats trying to cut fabric perfect and make the corners look seamless.

If you want to cover inside you might want to give it a look.

Blog Entries

Box finish

I like to use Deft Clear wood finish. It brings out the highlights of the wood and is a smooth easy to apply finish. It comes in gloss, semi gloss and satin. It also can be touched up years later if needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have never finished walnut or cherry before so I am not too sure about what will look good. I am thinking of putting on a liberal coat of BLO and after 20 wiping it off (as was mentioned in the other finishing post) then after it has cured spraying on 2-3 coats of deft laquer. Will this work good for all three types of wood? Should I use Deft laquer (this is my preference at the moment) or a wipe on varnish?

What about oil finishes, a tung oil or danish oil finish, how do these hold up or would I still need to top coat with laquer or varnish?

Thanks again.

I have sprayed lacquer over top BLO several times.BUT!!! I seal it first first with shellac. It works wonderfully. The only issue I have, and this is a personal thing, I have outgrown the look of lacquer on cherry or walnut. I understand that we have applied an oil base already to accentuate the grain and color, but to me it looks flat....again thats just me.

You could use a Danish oil or pure Tung oil....but they are not as durable. if useing pure tung oil be prepared to wait a while for it to cure....it takes forever even under the most idea conditions. On the other hand, Tung oil finish is not bad...it is simply a polymerized wiping varnish. It can be a very nice finish if you work with a bit. I find that it is very streaky...thus I make my own blends these days. Danish oil likely has the least amount of protection of these finishes....other then pure wax.

You need to acknowlegde the amount of use these items are to see. If these are going to used regualry...a more durable finish is best. if these are going to sit on a shelve collecting dust(no offense.... ) then you could go with a less durable finish. I made bunch of Shaker Candle boxes for X-mas this year...I used Danish oil for these. Nothing fancy but I understand that these will not be used reguarly.

Those three species benefit far more from a soaking of BLO, then sealed with shellac and maybe a top coat of some kind of Ureathane, whether it be poly or something like General Finishes' Arm-R-Seal.

Watco would be another choice that is a little simplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Terre Hooks
    Those three species benefit far more from a soaking of BLO, then sealed with shellac and maybe a top coat of some kind of Ureathane, whether it be poly or something like General Finishes' Arm-R-Seal.

Watco would be another choice that is a little simplier.
    Sorry...mis-read your post....I was thinking you said BLO was better then a film finish....

OK, I can't really say how much use they will get, they will be given away as christmas presents, but I'm guess they won't get heavy use.
    If I use BLO I need to seal it with shellac before putting on a clear coat, How do you apply shellac?
    what other finishes would you recommend that don't make the finish look flat?

what is Watco?

Sorry for all the questions, the only finishes I have used before are penetrating stains topped with either poly or laquer.