Thread: Swap Meet Find

Swap Meet Find

I went to a swap meet this morning looking to replace some old hand planes that were stolen a while back, and ended up coming home with a Dewalt radial arm saw. I was able to test it there, and is sounded great. I got the saw, the original stand, a stack of blades, an additional aftermarket blade guard, and two bailey hand planes, all for $80. Looks like it was made in 1959. Can't wait to get it cleaned up and making sawdust.

nice saw - please keep us updated with pics as you restore it.

great find

AWWWWW! Shame on you. That's the one I wanted.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

GWI model?

The other blade guard, looks like its off a 60's (Black and Decker) model.

Great little RAS for trim work! Congrats!!

Sad about your stolen wood planes! Keep an eye on CL and local pawn shops if they were taken recently. Few thieves are really into woodworking! They just need drug $$$.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Started cleaning it up today, and surprisingly it looks like I won't have to do much to it at all. The keyed power switch and numbered labels all over it lead me to believe that it came from a wood shop classroom, and it looks like they kept it tuned up very well. I love looking at the beautiful restorations over at OWWM, but I'm more concerned with functionality than aesthetics, and I just don't have the time to strip and re-paint the whole thing. I think I'll just build a nice table for it, make a few fine tune adjustments, and put it to use asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    GWI model?

The other blade guard, looks like its off a 60's (Black and Decker) model.
    It's a 9" MBF model. I think you're right about the other guard, it looks like it was from a 60's B&D 10". It does fit, but using it might temp me to put on a blade too big for the motor. I'll probably just stick with the old guard for now.