Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First box/project

First box/project

Well first project in a very long time (35 years or so) is finally complete without a day to spare for Mother's Day. Carribean Rosewood with African Mahogany and Spanish Cedar inside. Learned a lot and luckily most of my mistakes are hidden! Welcome any comments that would help me along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

35 year hiatus? And you pull a stunt like this? Have you no shame?

I give up. I'm just going to sell all my stuff and become a worm farmer.

Stunning. Beautiful design and apparently a spectacular execution. Great job!
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    35 year hiatus? And you pull a stunt like this? Have you no shame?

I give up. I'm just going to sell all my stuff and become a worm farmer.

Stunning. Beautiful design and apparently a spectacular execution. Great job!
    Thanks Greg. I can't take much credit for the design as I lurked on these forums and the web for some time getting ideas and learning what I needed. Took what I liked and put it together. Wish I could remember all who I should thank but there are several Creekers who helped me along especially Howie who got me past a trouble spot with the finish.

Blog Entries
    Great project...and apparently no rust on the skills after 35 years.

Blog Entries
    Marc,

GREAT looking box......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work on the box, very nice work
    Looks like you haven't lost the touch Marc...

That is one super cute box. I really like the design with the rounded sides.

One thing I find annoying about WWing forums is all accolades and no constructive feedback. So here's mine. these are just my thoughts please dont take them personally

I would have liked to see the lid handle with an angle or rounded to match the side.

The dovetail splines look a little off with the rounding of the sides. maybe straight splines would look better?

the finish needs work.

Overall a lovely box well executed.
    Fullerbuilt

I would have liked to see the lid handle with an angle or rounded to match the side.

The dovetail splines look a little off with the rounding of the sides. maybe straight splines would look better?

the finish needs work.

Overall a lovely box well executed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments. I won't even get into the trouble I had with this finish so not surprised by your comment there. I will say that the last box I made was in Cub Scouts so I over stepped my capabilities with this project and I would expect you pros would see many issues with this but the wife loves it so life is good.

Marc

At least you made it by MothersDay! I have a box project I was trying to complete, too, but did NOT make it! I still need to get the lid on, sand, finish, etc! Oh well

Nice box, BTW!

and never mind those critiques!! I think you did a good job, after 35 years of not doing anything else!!!

I like the inner box organizers, with that little handle! I think I will steal that idea, OK?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lopeman View Post
    and never mind those critiques!! I think you did a good job, after 35 years of not doing anything else!!!

I like the inner box organizers, with that little handle! I think I will steal that idea, OK?!
    Go for it! Might not be able to tell by the pics but I took an orbital sander and used just the edge at an angle to 'indent' both sides so when it is grabbed, it is like a 'handle'.

Marc

Thanks! I love sanding things to shape. It's almost like carving. My ShopSmith sanddisk can make quick work of things, too. I recently got the conical sanding wheel - I haven't tried it yet, but it is suppose to be able to sand without swirl marks!! Maybe I'll try it tonight, since I need to fix my box lid.

I made my box lid before my carcass... yeah - I little backwards, but it's how I tend to do things. My Lid had the "important" pieces of wood in it, so I wanted to design the box around it. I suppose you will see that, once I get around to posting pix of it.

Well - thanks - hope to see you grow to please these guys and see more of your work!!! (BTW - These guys are for the most part GREAT and really only want to help US become better!)

OH - I guess I really ought to say something about the critisisms... I didn't mean that we should not welcome them... I CERTAINLY do... I for one won't be offended.

and @Greg - there's decent money in worm farming. I have a friend who is a nurse who had her worm farm on the side. She sells the leftover casting for gardeners, too! She just expanded and just about tripled her size and production. She's a big time DIYer, too! I love ppl like that.
    Last edited by Dennis Lopeman; 05-10-2010 at 4:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lopeman View Post
    OH - I guess I really ought to say something about the critisisms... I didn't mean that we should not welcome them... I CERTAINLY do... I for one won't be offended.
    I welcome the criticism as it's really the only way I'll get better because from what I've been reading, the crit comes with a tip to do it right. Besides, I can only take so much from my father-in-law, new sources are always welcome

Blog Entries
    I realy like the curved sides, the DT's would work a little better for my tase if they were through DT's. The handle on the tray is a very nice touch. The handle for the lid is a main attraction, you want to be as pleasing to the eye as possible.
    You've done a great job, especially being out of it so long. I look forward to your future pieces.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.