Thread: I just built a lathe stand

I just built a lathe stand

Monday I took my old lumber racks, cut them to my cut list, and then welded the parts together and brought the stand homeThursday. Yesterday, I drilled holes and mounted the Tredmill motor in place, and today I set up all the electronics that made the tredmill work.
    I was too ansy to be content looking at it, marveling that it works, so I just had to try turning something... I only have old dried out mesquite stumps, so I gave it a try. It's been sanded to 240 grit, and I buffed it with the back of my sandpaper..
    The first picture has a piece of Cholla stalk on top of the mesquite. The second picture has some interesting stuff in it if you have a vivid imagination..
    The lathe is an old Boice Crane, and the headstock threads are 14 tpi.... Does anyone know where I can get a face plate to fit??P1120571.JPG

P1120568.jpg

Jerry, you tricked us!! Nice looking mesquite turning, but where are the pics of the stand??? Been lookin' forward to seeing what you did with it since one of your previous posts.

You can find faceplates for some of those odd spindle sizes at various places. Have you tried Craft Supplies or WoodCraft? Hmmm... well, I just checked Craft Supplies website. They don't seem to have anything but the more common sizes. I've seen a supplier that sells custom sizes though...

I just ran across this link page that has all kinds of stuff on it. You might peruse it for a faceplate manufacturer:

http://www.woodturners.org/links/links.html

By the way, how bout pix of your machine/creation?

I was going to say nice turnings but where's the stand???? You might try Don Pencil. He may have one. Check his site out. You also might try out this site. He says they will make custom sizes and threads.

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/faceplates.html
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-09-2010 at 9:03 AM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Interesting turning Jerry! Glad your lathe works!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the new stand!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Suspense!!!!

I'm just keeping you guys in a suspense mode. I'm breaking it down shortly to get it ready for sanding and paint.. Every one who saw it as I was building it said,"Boy, that's one healthy saw horse", and after looking at it, yup, by golly, they're right.....
    In this post are pics of the lathe and stand in mock up mode. The motor and electronics are from an "Image" treadmill, and with all the pieces attached to my saw horse, it looks like a Redneck lathe... I need to build a vented and filtered box for the circuit boards. For the mock up, they're attached to a 1/4' piece of melamine.
    The motor is mounted properly, but as you can see, the motor has a pulley that requires a J8 belt( serpentine ), and the head stock has a V belt pulley.... I'm surprised it worked..
    Notice the motor control board.... Now, that's something anyone could be proud of.... It even has the panic key that you attach to yourself so if you have a case of heart failure, or you've "Fallen and can't get up", the motor will shut down, and save you a lot on your electric bill. The control board has a timer on it to let you know how much time you're taking on a project..There's just too many features to list...The motor runs at 3210 rpm, the board increments the speed in .1's all the way up to 10., probably 3210 rpm, so at .1 the speed is reduced to a crawl.... I'm pleased with the stand, and will be happier when I can get a chuck for the lathe.... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Jerry, how did you get that duck in the turning?

Duck

Ray, Ya missed the rabbit, dacshound?, and the better half say's there's an eagle flying around also. i know she's on meds for her MS, but I don't think any make her halucinate...Jerry (in Tucson)

Good looking setup Jerry.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.