Thread: Gluing onto Sealed (Bullseye) wood

Gluing onto Sealed (Bullseye) wood

Can I glue over the wood that I have already sealed with Bullseye? I can of course sand the area first. I'm making a box (I didn't complete it for MothersDay!) and decided I want to glue legs on it to off set the size of the lid.

TIA

The strength of the glue bons will be significantly reduced. That said, the relatively low stresses of those legs may let such a joint survive. A small screw into the bottom of the chest, with flat head recessed into the leg bottom, could work wonders, of course.

I should have mentioned that it's a SMALL box... like a keepsake or humidor... There not going to be anyone sitting on it or anything!

Polyurethane glue, epoxy, Hot melt poly or melamine glue will do much better than yellow PVA glue. You won't have the strength of a raw wood to wood bond.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Even if I sand it down a good bit? How deep does the Sealer penetrate?

If you sand off essentially all the shellac, so you are basically sanding the bare wood, you will get close to a full strength bond, almost certainly strong enough for your application.

I think you can save yrself a lot of work by using a little dab of epoxy on each foot.