Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview Nominees solicited.

Turner Interview Nominees solicited.

Steve Schlumpf and I had been discussing reviving the SMC turner interviews again as a way to grow a little feeling of community here. Thus Steve took on the challenge and he suggested Wally Dickerman would make a great 1st interview for the revival. I agreed. Wally agreed to do it and thus this recent interview. Wally's interview stands out in my mind as one of the best I've seen here.

Steve has generously agreed to take on the challenge and I agreed to share the load with him to revive the turner interviews.

So here's what we are asking.

Use this thread to post the name of a SMC turner you would like to nominate for an interview.

Don't nominate yourself............ Please!

Keep in mind.....some folks are a little conservative and don't want to post their personal information on the internet. That is their right and we need to respect it. Thus.....some people may be nominated and choose to not do the interview. We need to respect their right and wishes.

As people are nominated, I will keep a running list in this posting. As people are interviewed, I will remove their names from this list so the list will contain only nominees.

What say ye?

Nominate someone today!

Suggested Nominees:

John Keeton
    Toney Robertson
    Dominic Greco
    Leo Van Der Loo
    David Walser
    Jeff Nicol
    Jim Shaver
    William Bolen
    Richard Madison
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-10-2010 at 8:15 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Ken how about Mr. John Keeton?
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Before I even read Bernie's post, I was going to suggest Mr. Keeton, Esq. ...

Ken, Were there ever, and/or are there now guidelines or qualifications for subjects selected for interview?
    Richard in Wimberley

I've always enjoyed seeing Toney Robertson's work. I'd like to know more about the guy behind it.

Richard,

I don't remember any qualifications other than someone or a group of the turners here indicated they wanted to know more about them.

I am not a turner of any great skill but even I got interviewed.
    Ken

One more thing to think about.

To keep the interviews from being too much of a burden for Steve and to keep it from becoming a boring regularity, Steve and I discussed only having 1 or maybe 2 interviews per month.

Too many....too quickly....we could run out of nominees or it could just become boring....if you understand what I am trying to communicate.

And it could become too much work for Steve.
    Ken

I thought of a lot of people who have already been interviewed.

John Keeton has been a major fixture since he entered the vortex, and his work is beautiful. He gets my vote.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

9. John Keeton, JD

Bernie W would be a good one...He contributes a lot to the group and does some nice work. I have to admit that I thought of John K as soon as I read this.

Dominic Greco
    Take care,
    Jim

Actually.....Bernie has already been interviewed and I agree an incredible resource and just a nice guy!

Here' Bernie's interview: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38804
    Ken

Guys, while I humbly appreciate the suggestions that I be interviewed, my journey on this side has been relatively short and shared "blow by blow" as it happened. I am not sure an interview with me would provide much additional information as relates to woodturning.

There seem to be many others that come to mind that might have more to offer - perhaps Leo Van Der Loo? I also think an interview of Toney Robertson would be interesting.

Just some thoughts.

Firstly, I am really glad to see the interviews back. I agree that it really creates a feeling of community. I would also like to see interviews with the long-time turners, as well as newer turners like John Keeton. I want to know where he gets all his time.

I would also suggest David Walser. I especially want to know why "the blue line is to aid in grain alignment" (see David's pen tutorial post). We can also include the younguns, and ladies.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I just hope this kind of nomination process doesn't hurt the feelings of a lot of the other turners here. It's not just the quality of the work - but the passion of the woodworker that really interests me. To that end, I think I'd enjoy seeing an interview with any of the regular posters here...

No offense meant to the Honorable John Keeton!