Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Day 2010 Bowl from Cherry

Mom's Day 2010 Bowl from Cherry

Textured with the Sorby texturing tool, here's my present to the wife for Mother's Day this year. About 8"x2.5"; heavy. 3 wheel buffed with Ren wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Mike! Very contemporary feel to the bowl! All the texturing really adds to the piece - creates a feeling of motion!

This should age beautifully! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The spiraling really makes this bowl stand out. Very nice job!

Doug

4. Mike your really knocking them out lately. Bowl looks great. The texturing is a really nice touch. I agree with steve about the motion of the bowl.

Really a pretty bowl Mike and the texturing really sets it off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Another nice piece, Mike! I really need to see one of those texturing tools in action. Sure makes for some neat effects.

John, there are movie clips of the texturing tool in action on the Sorby website! Neat stuff!

Great looking bowl Mike and I too dig the texture work!

MMc

Looks great. I love the texturing. If you try another like this, I might consider torching the textured surface just to add a color contrast... Just a thought.

The Rim/texturing definitely make this piece, is there a big learning curve on texturing or does it come easy?

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    The Rim/texturing definitely make this piece, is there a big learning curve on texturing or does it come easy?
    Alex, I found it to be pretty easy to do - at least, using the Sorby tool I have. I've only tried to texture 5 pieces, and 3 of them came out fine. I think a big part of it is making sure the wood will take the texture well - cherry and hard maple seem to do well, but my attempt with walnut was a failure. Direct, light touch with the first cut, then repeat, letting the teeth of the cutter catch the previous grooves.

Mike,

Nice bowl. I really like wide rims on bowls, the wide rims seem to give them a masculine feel and thinner ones seem to somewhat dainty sometimes. Besides that there are just so many possibilities for doing something with them.

As I was looking at the close up pictures I noticed something that my tiny little pea brain and my eyes can't figure out. My eyes tell me each spiral is continuous from the edge to the center. My brain tells me this won't work because the larger circumference on the outside will have more room for more spirals than the smaller circumference towards the middle. I'm thinking that somewhere in the middle there has to be a transition but I don't see it. Im going to have to go home and try it before I go nuts trying to figure it out.

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Wow Mike, that's one your best IMHO. I love the thick walls and the texturing. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN THOMAS View Post
    Mike,

My brain tells me this won't work because the larger circumference on the outside will have more room for more spirals than the smaller circumference towards the middle.

GT
    Glenn, I don't know, but I'm trying to think of it like this: if one drew 'radii' from the center of the form to the outside, it would be a 'one-to-one'; then, if the center of the bowl were rotated, that would cause the spiralling effect, with the same number of points of attachment at the inner and outer ends. Think?

does it have to do with hard vs soft wood?

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    does it have to do with hard vs soft wood?
    For me, the harder woods have worked best - so far; experience will tell!