Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hard drives

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Question External Hard drives

I stopped by Best Buy today to pick up an external hard drive when I quickly realized that I don’t know jack about them. Best Buy had 4 different brands to choose from. Who makes the quality drives and who should I stay away from? Is the USB connection fast or at least adequate? I want to move my MP3 and photo files and free up my main drive.

Thanks for any info
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce,

I would recommend that you make SEVERAL backups. I had a Maxtor 1 touch 120GB drive fail after 6 months. Today, I was on the phone with Ximeta on a drive failure. I just don't trust them enough after a couple of failures.

My advice would be to purchase a Western Digital External drive and if you have a DVD burner make backups to some DVD's and store them somewhere safe.

If you have a newer computer it most likely has a USB 2.0 port and is quick as firewire. If you get a USB 2.0 drive it will work with a older USB 1.1 port. It will run slower but it will work.

HTH
    Last edited by Rich Konopka; 11-19-2004 at 6:35 PM.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Rich, Maxtor was one of the brands that Best Buy had. The others were Seagate, Western Digital & Plextor. My PC is a couple of years old but it does have the USB 2.0 ports.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think the Seagate drives are covered by a 5 year warranty. They have been pretty good(reliability wise) lately.

Bruce,

I don't think you will go wrong with the WD, Seagate or Plextor. Based on my experience with the Maxtor 120GB 1 Touch failing within 6 months I would stay away from it.

You want 7200 RPM -- Nothing lower

You want seek time ~8ms lower is even better but I doubt you will find that in an external drive.

You want at least 2MB cache Buffer. Some of the Seagate have 8mb which is good.

The WD has a nice shutdown feature which guarantees the cache is written before being shut down.

Do you have a DVD burner? If so make extra backups !!
    Rich

Bruce:

What Rich said I swear by Western Digital and Seagate. I swear @ Maxtor, both internal and external. Most of the Western Digital externals have a seek time ~8.9ms. This isn't bad. Don't know if Best Buy is the "best price" or whether you can find better "non grey market" price on-line . Good Luck
    Dan McLaughlin

Thanks for the info guys. Rich, no DVD burner but I can burn CD's. I'll take a closer look at the Seagate, I think they were the most expensive.

Andy Rooney

8. Lightbulb

Hi Bruce,<O</O

…. I engineer, refurbish and/or build my own computers and/or help the neighbors with there’s. Usually, of late, I decide on the size drive I am considering then I read the latest reviews and pay special attention to the editors reviews, on (cnet.com) or (zdnet.com) or on one of the other no nonsense impartial tech web pages. I get a pretty good idea about what I am looking for from these reviews. It’s nice to go with a SCSI drive, but there is a price to pay, yet the performance is definitely there and you can daisy chain them together. Most likely you will want an IDE or an External USB drive. I would attempt to get one that is highly rated with at lease a three-year warranty and a pretty good seek time, which in your case will most likely be between seven and nine milliseconds. It’s nice to have at least a two MB buffer up to eight MBs, but a lot of that depends on the engineering of the drive, usually the larger the drive the larger the buffer. My last choice a couple of months ago was an IBM internal drive and it had, as I remember, a two MB buffer with eight (something) seek time with a three-year warranty . If you should change your mind about an external drive and decide to go with a CD and/or DVD drive (burner) I would go with a PLEXTOR PX-708A. They’re very reasonably priced and pretty much top of the line. Although, I do not care for the software package that comes with it, which is ROXIO, I much prefer NERO, in my opinion, a far better software package and a lot less bugs.
    …. Tried to give you a quick snapshot, hope this helps and is not too over whelming .

Boyd
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 11-19-2004 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Remove embedded characters and / or adjust font size.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Thanks Boyd, what's your opinion on the IOGEAR or LaCie drives? They have a 160GB external for ~ $140.

Andy Rooney

Hi Bruce,

Do you have a walmart nearby? I got my Seagate 120 GB external hard drive there and it was almost $50 cheaper than Staples.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I would check out the external firewire drives if you have a firewire port on your PC, the throughput is outstanding.

12. Wink

…. Hello Bruce, Not familiar with either of those two drives. I would have to check them out like I suggested in my earlier post.
    …. Good luck and would be interested in what you settle on.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Thanks Boyd, what's your opinion on the IOGEAR or LaCie drives? They have a 160GB external for ~ $140.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 11-21-2004 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Remove embedded characters and / or adjust font size.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Bruce,

What did you end up getting??
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Bruce,

What did you end up getting??
    Rich,
    I just picked up my PC from the repair shop today. I had a vicious worm called “sms.exe” that required more pc skill that I could muster to remove. I also had them install a 120GB/8meg cache internal HD and do a general tune-up.

The ol’ computer has never run better!I was without PC for almost 5 days (gasp) so I have a lot of catching up to do – 195 new messages when I logged on!

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Rich,
    I just picked up my PC from the repair shop today. I had a vicious worm called “sms.exe” that required more pc skill that I could muster to remove. I also had them install a 120GB/8meg cache internal HD and do a general tune-up.

The ol’ computer has never run better!I was without PC for almost 5 days (gasp) so I have a lot of catching up to do – 195 new messages when I logged on!
    Just wondering what brand of drive you ended up installing?