Thread: Dust Collector Mag starter vs. remote control

Dust Collector Mag starter vs. remote control

I am running a 5hp Delta dust collector (50-765) in a separate part of the building controlled by a remote control transmitter. The remote will turn the dust collector off, but I have to hit the remote again and physically turn the machine back on to get it running. Can I disable the magnetic starter so that I can turn the machine both on and off using the remote transmitter?

John

Blog Entries
    You need the mag starter to control the motor. The remote transmitter/receiver controls the mag starter. Does your remote have 2 buttons? If so, you need to wire the transmitter so 1 channel closes a start contact & the other opens the holding contact circuit. If your remote has only 1 button, you can use a toggle relay that switches to the on position on 1 pulse & then switches to the off position on the next pulse.

What coil voltage is on the dust collector's contactor?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It can be done, but it is tricky. Much easier would be to put the remote between the starter and the DC.

You will have amperage issues going between the contactor and the 5hp motor Wade. That is not recommended
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The remote is the Woodcraft Remote control transmitter switch and only has one button. I apologize for the ignorance on the Contactor voltage, the Dust collection system is 220v (I am not up to speed on electrical motors and contactors). This remote system is one in which the dust collection system plugs into the remote sensor and then that into the wall.

Blog Entries
    I know exactly what your problem is, but a fix is probably beyond your level. Call an electrician & he will be able to wire the remote controller into the mag starter coil circuit. The power will need to go directly to the starter. None of the remotes that Woodcraft carries will safely handle a 5 HP motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You will have amperage issues going between the contactor and the 5hp motor Wade. That is not recommended
    You can get them for 5hp on ebay for $20. Most are 3 phase, but there are few single phase mixed in. I put one on my 3hp activated by a X10 remote; worked fine for years. (good thing I didn't know it wasn't recommended)

I presume he could use the Woodcraft thing to run it.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 07-21-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Oddly enough it worked fine for a while. I had a separate issue with the drive rod in the motor. I had that fixed and since then it has not worked.