Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help With Large Bandsaw Selection

7. Anything I missed worth considering?

Northfield + power feed = awesome for re-sawing.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 05-14-2010 at 6:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dietrich View Post
    Well guys - Uncle Grizzley just came out with a sales brochure today - lowered the price of the G0701 $200 to $2,795. That makes it a full $900 less than the Italian jobs. et hands on with one, even pick it up to save shipping. We'll see.
    Steve,
    Do you have any links to the sale brochure--the web site still shows the 2995 price

Vijay

Vijay - the Grizzly sales brochure came via snail mail.

Steve,

Can you please post the details such as coupon code, expiration etc. Better still can you post an image?

Thanks

Vijay

agazzani

I have an Agazzani 24 inch saw. I am just getting in to woodworking, and generally do not care for incremental purchases, so I bought a big saw. It's easy enough to change the blades and adjust the guides. The one thing I will say though would be that if any tool would benefit from a VFD (variable frequency drive) it would be a bandsaw. I feel sorry for the belt and motor each time I turn the saw on. A vfd would add the capability of accelerating the mass of the saw up to speed. In use, the saw just cuts what is presented to the blade, I have yet to stress it in any way.

The saw is easy enough to deal with, it's mounted on single bolt type casters that attach through holes in the base.

Like all the machines I have, I bought them used through either Ebay or Craigslist. I generally shop for quality and condition, rather than rock bottom price.

Steve,

I have a MM 16 and am quite satisfied with it. For the straight skinny on MM saws I suggest you contact Sam Blasco. http://samantics2.com/home.html Sam is an extremal talented and creative cabinet maker. He was at one time a MM rep and may still be associated with Mini Max. I believe he uses a MM 20 in his shop. I assure you, what he tells you will be truthful, from a woodworker's perspective and not salesman BS.

George

The Grizz sale runs through 23 Sept, so that gives me time to go to Atlanta and may give some negotiating leverage with the other dealers.
    Steve, nothing wrong with that approach. There is something in me that secretely wants you to get the Griz, mainly because we don't have a boots on the ground review...

I am a "car" nut and I see the Griz like the Hyundai Genesis a break out car designed to compete against the big boys in the upline class and a VERY good car in the segment, I just can't see me spending my money, assuming I could afford the others, on a new player in the class when names like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi have owned the segment for years. BUT the Genesis is a car I would recommend to others and I whole heartedly expect the Griz to be a saw I would recommend to others if I had time to play with one but still willing to bet my money would be on an Italian saw for me, if nothing else for the safety blanket of resell. Though the truth of it is we often get a upper level tool and die with it, not really an good analogy with cars as resell almost always comes into that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Northfield + power feed = awesome for re-sawing.

But for that price one could get a really nice horizintal resaw and a big Italian vertical plus a 14" cast clone decked out with Carter upgrades and still have money left over!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    But for that price one could get a really nice horizintal resaw and a big Italian vertical plus a 14" cast clone decked out with Carter upgrades and still have money left over!
    You get what you pay for.

+1 for the good comments about Sam Blasco. When i was combo machine shopping, he was a great resource.

I purchased an Agazzani B-24 saw last summer and have been very happy with it. Solid as a mountain and nothing seems to stress it. It doesn't have a quick release mechanism but its so trivial to re-tension the blade that I doubt I would really find it helpful.

The only trouble I had with the saw was getting it from its horizontal to a standing position out of the crate by myself. Not something I would recommend......

I have only used one Northfield BS in my life and it was a nice machine. Two things really struck me, one it was direct drive and second it had aluminum wheels (very thick though).

Actually, now days you don't get what you pay for...

But you sure don't get what you don't pay for!

Cameron Reddy

Thanks to all for the additional comments. Tom, thanks for the lead on the lead to the Itura arm - I'll have to pursue that.

Frankly, I'm tired of shopping and comparing. I'm ready to get a saw in the shop and slice some wood.

Laguna has not responded in 3 days to my question through their web site - so, they are fired.

Carter promptly offered info on its guides for Grizzly, but could not link it to a particular saw and had two models for big Grizzlys. Grizzly, of course, has been machine-gun rapid in its responses, but could not refer me to other guides to overcome the 3/8" limitiation (either theirs or others). And, frankly, I didn't feel like doing the research in the spec sheets my self. So they are out of the running.

Also, based on all of your great input, I'm sure that if I bought the Grizz, I'd spend the rest of my woodworking life wondering if I made the right decision and I have neither the time nor spare cash to be the test case for the saw.

I called Jesse at Eagle tools and he is every bit as great to work with as all of you and others have said. Jesse had me seriously thinking about a B-24, but I've decided on an Agazzani B 20/20. I'm sure I'll never look back or question this decision.

After speaking with Jesse and considering all I've read from Agazzani owners and others experienced with them, I decided that I need to look no further.

Do any of you have suggestions or comments on the Agga accessories (heavy duty miter guage and mobile base)?

He is also offering at a very nice price the following blade: Lenox WoodMasterCT Carbide Blade: 178” x 1” x 2 TPI - for resawing, ripping, and some joinery. I'm wondering if I'll be happy with this one or if I'll question whether I should have gone with a Trimaster - any thoughts?

Jesse is running a test to see if a 30 amp circuit will handle the Agga's 4.8 HP motor of if I should go with a 40 amp circuit. Same motor as the B24, but lighter wheels. Again, any thoughts?

I run my 24 agazzani from a 30 amp breaker, no problems. Mobile base- stud type casters from home depot through the holes in the base. The miter gauge looks weak, but it works OK.

He is also offering at a very nice price the following blade: Lenox WoodMasterCT Carbide Blade: 178” x 1” x 2 TPI - for resawing, ripping, and some joinery. I'm wondering if I'll be happy with this one or if I'll question whether I should have gone with a Trimaster - any thoughts?
    Sam Blasco has a pretty good side-by-side comparison
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66446
    Use the fence Luke