Thread: Union #41 t and g

Union #41 t and g

Recently purchased and cant find any info on these planes. Can anyone tell me do the cutters go bevel up or down and how much of the blade should be exposed? When sharpening the blades should I hollow grind or not? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Pictures always help, but my best guess would be based on at what angle the blades are seated.

If they are typical of other T&G plane made at the time, my guess would be they are bevel down. A blade has to be bedded at a fairly low angle to be bedded bevel up.

Hollow groundis just another way of saying a blade was ground on the round face of a cylinder. In other words something that most likely looks like a bench grinder. Not all bench grinders are the same.

When it comes to honing the edge, it is easier to get the feel of the blade on the stone with a hollow grind and less metal will be worked to get to a useable edge.

It is not necessary and in the long run does not cut better than a blade that is properly sharpened without a hollow grind.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, what angle would you recommend I grind the blades at? Thanks

Bevel down.

Hollow grind is OK but be very careful since you have a small piece of metal. It will get hot quick on a dry, powered grinder.

I'm still casting about for a T&G but on my combination planes with their irons the recommendation given to me was 30 degrees. Seems fine. So try 30-ish and see how it does.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    I agree with 30° being a good starting point. This is based on the typical bedding angle being 45°.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I ground the blades at 25 but each time I tried the plane on pine one of the blades keeps chipping. Ill try the 30 degree. Should I try a secondary bevel?

Blog Entries
    If your hollow grind is at 25° you can just put the edge bevel at 30°.

Are your blades set even?

Also, how thick is the shaving you are taking when the blade chips?

The blade may have been damaged in the past by improper grinding.

jim

Got it all worked out and now its cutting fine. I had the blades extended too far and I think is why they were getting chipped. Thanks for all the help.