Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In a Panic....I Won't be Allowed to Air Condition my Garage???????

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    I am guessing you'd rather not lose the garage function.
    Actually, the garage will become a dedicated (hobby) shop, and will not be used to garage automobiles, but I don't think that changes the bottom line.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

In that case I suggest two sets of double French doors....more wall space!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Guys,

Let's get something straight in this thread.

I would never suggest someone go against the building code. The code is there to protect the average person from both himself and unscrupulous builders.
    Does that include "green" codes like these, where the concern is less quality and more environmental?

Phil,

If the "Green" regulation is part of the code yes...obey it.

What gives anyone the right to selectively obey or disobey a regulation?

If you don't like a regulation, change it or learn to live with it.

If you can't get enough voters to get it changed...you lose...learn to accept the fact that you are in the minority and need to obey the law/regulation regardless.

And I would surely not give anyone advice....especially on the Internet....open for the whole world to see....and suggest someone break a law or do something unsafe.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries

Unhappy lesson learned

I won't address the issues of legality, etc. nor go into detail on how I suspect this is yet another poor example of "green" legislation, which may or may not help with conservation of energy and the planet.

The lesson I learn once again from this post... when you're buying a house, you need to really research EVERYTHING about the house. It is too easy to find out later that you are severely restricted in your use of the house.. maybe it isn't quite as attractive or as good a bargain as you think if it doesn't match your lifestyle. In this case, it appears that as a woodworker in Texas.. you'd better start looking at a new house with questions like: can I add on a woodshop? Maybe a 1 car garage is enough if I can't use it for a woodshop? Will the Homeowners association let me do ANYTHING with the house? If I can add a woodshop how big can it be ?
    I guess my libertarian tendencies come out when I read this.. and I'm sure glad I live in the wilds of New Mexico instead of Texas.

Phil,

If the "Green" regulation is part of the code yes...obey it.

What gives anyone the right to selectively obey or disobey a regulation?

If you can't get enough voters to get it changed...you lose...learn to accept the fact that you are in the minority and need to obey the law/regulation regardless.

And I would surely not give anyone advice....especially on the Internet....open for the whole world to see....and suggest someone break a law or do something unsafe.
    I absolutely agree that he shouldn't do anything unsafe. I don't think anyone has encouraged him to do that (but maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to read all the messages again).

And I'm not sure that using a window air conditioner is illegal. I don't see anything conclusive on that.

The rest is a gray area for me. Any thoughtful response would involve politics, so best to stop here.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 05-13-2010 at 1:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post

The lesson I learn once again from this post... when you're buying a house, you need to really research EVERYTHING about the house.
    Yeah, the kicker is that I thought I had done just that. I had checked with the HOA etc etc to confirm that I could set up a shop in this garage. I did not, however, check with the city about putting in an air conditioner. This is a case of "if you don't know all the questions to ask, you won't ask them all".

I'll get it figured out. Thanks for all the comments guys!!
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I absolutely agree that he shouldn't do anything unsafe. I don't think anyone has encouraged him to do that (but maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to read all the messages again).

And I'm not sure that using a window air conditioner is illegal. I don't see anything conclusive on that.

The rest is a gray area for me. Any thoughtful response would involve politics, so best to stop here.
    Phil,

If it violates code and he could pay a fine or be taken to court and forced to bring it up to code....that violates a regulation or law and is illegal.

I don't see it as a gray area or political. Obey the law.

My advice.....Don't use the telephone. Go to the Building Code enforcement office. Take some plans and ask questions. Tell them what you would like to do and ask them for some methods or alternative methods to get there. I have often had building code inspectors point out where my renovations would violate code and then give me cost-effective ideas on how to eliminate the violation. Be civil with the people there. They are just doing a job to protect the general public.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Anyone familiar with the “Energy Code” in Texas (it is supposedly a state thing). What if I worked on cars for a hobby? I would not be allowed to air condition the garage because I couldn’t remove the garage door and close the opening????

This seems crazy to me, and I am in a bit of a panic as I had not planned on the significant expense it would take to close the garage door opening and I like to have it open when the weather is nice anyway!!!.....but I need to have this thing cooled in the summer and warmed in the winter.
    I went to your city's WEB page. Your city complies with the "International Energy Conservation Code". I didn't know such an animal existed, but it does, and I learned something new. The IECC seems fairly comprehensive and voluminous. My guess is that there is probably some work around or exception for what you want to do, but it would require finding a contractor who is very familiar with the regulations, and submitting a plan to obtain a permit that either takes advantage of an exception or show how you are in compliance with R values and leakage as outlined in the regulations, most likely in a different section of the code than the inspector thinking about. I may be wrong, but without consulting with someone with particular expertise in IECC your not likely to make any headway on you own. My guess is that sooner or later most municipalities are going to adopt energy codes, and since this one is supported by the federal government, it's likely to become fairly ubiquitous.
    Last edited by Steve Milito; 05-13-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added link to DOE / IECC

Phil,

As Ronald Reagan said long ago, you can always vote with your feet.

Seems like if it will no longer be a garage then you should be able to close it in, insulate properly and be good to go.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post

Seems like if it will no longer be a garage then you should be able to close it in, insulate properly and be good to go.

Joe
    If that is what I have to do, that is what I have to do. However, there are reasons I would prefer not to go to the trouble.

1. cost to close the opening
    2. cost of removing the wall to restore it to a garage upon selling the house
    3. Whenever possible, I work with the garage door open (weather and temperatures permitting)
    Regards,

Glen

I would ask about a portable/window a/c. I would also start talking to PROFESSIONAL garages about what they have for ac's. (different regulations?)

Also, do you have a basement (look at other options since that is already an air conditioned space)? Although that still doesn't answer the factor about people who work on/maintain their own cars (and whatever else in the garages). I would be interested to find someone in their office that does do their own work, so maybe they would know the codes, and what can be done, as compared to someone who always takes their vehicles in, and then complains about the costs.

Phil,

If it violates code and he could pay a fine or be taken to court and forced to bring it up to code....that violates a regulation or law and is illegal.

I don't see it as a gray area or political. Obey the law.

My advice.....Don't use the telephone. Go to the Building Code enforcement office. Take some plans and ask questions. Tell them what you would like to do and ask them for some methods or alternative methods to get there. I have often had building code inspectors point out where my renovations would violate code and then give me cost-effective ideas on how to eliminate the violation. Be civil with the people there. They are just doing a job to protect the general public.
    Great advice, in general the codes are there to protect people (as Ken stated previously). Most codes have come out of horrible disasters, energy codes usually arise a bit differently but they are still usually very sound in their reasoning, even if you don't understand them.

If you can go to the Building Code Official and prove that you are meeting the intent of the code, then he may very well be happy with your solution. I have found that most BCO's are willing to work with you to get things accomplished. You have to remember they are only doing there job by following the code as they are supposed to.

Most codes have mechanisms to to allow you exceptions. This may or may not be the case with your garage, but the first thing you need to do is understand the code, and then go from there. Perhaps I am biased as an architect, but this may be a case where spends a few $$$ for a professional to help you out may be worth it.

Rob

Here's a suggestion Glen. Find out for the BI what type of garage doors may be acceptable.

Instead of overhead doors you may be able to install Carraige Type doors that will comply with the energy code. I have these type of doors and they are not and not energy efficient by any means but once I seal them up they should be pretty good.

I'm not sure of the cost but if you plan to say there it maybe worth the expense.

I have never had an HOA that would let me close up my garage into a living space which is essentially what you would be doing. Maybe they are much different in Texas but I would be surprised.