Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's official: New 1.75HP cabinet saw from Sawstop

It's official: New 1.75HP cabinet saw from Sawstop

Van's little birdie was right on. And it came a little sooner than I was expecting.

Head over to SS's homepage to see a teaser for the 1.75HP version of the PCS, which runs on 110V.

No indications what it will be priced at. Available later this summer. Having just purchased a 3hp PCS, I'll be a little bummed if it checks in under $2k because I might have gone that route. But based on the photo on the website, it appears it doesn't have the dust collecting blade guard.

EDIT: Dust collecting blade guard is an option (std on 3hp PCS).

says it has a quick release ZCI. hmmm. wonder if that is compatible with the contractor saw.

How weird. I was just looking at their site yesterday and that wasn't there...

Now, I just need to figure out where to get the money....

I'd be seriously surprised if it prices much less than $2500. Looks like the only difference between it and the 3hp version is the motor size and that the new blade guard isn't standard.

Wonder if you can get the 1.75 hp one and later upgrade to the 3hp motor... ?
    Last edited by Chris Kelble; 05-11-2010 at 3:49 PM.

I believe it's just a smaller motor than the PCS, but contains all the same accessories, including the blade guard.

My vote's that the contractor saw's going to be phased out.

Personally, I think they should just make this machine built-to-order like a Dell:

HP,
    Wing material,
    Blade Guard,
    Voltage,
    Rail size,
    Mobile base,
    etc.

But stick with one 'chassis'.

I'm betting it'll have other mfgr's stickers on it soon.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

6. i wouldn't want anything smaller then 3hp in a cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckenzie View Post
    i wouldn't want anything smaller then 3hp in a cabinet saw.
    I agree, but in my little basement shop, I don't have 220 and it would be difficult to add due to the way my basement is laid out

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I'm betting it'll have other mfgr's stickers on it soon.
    I'm with him.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    says it has a quick release ZCI. hmmm. wonder if that is compatible with the contractor saw.
    I've got the Contractor SS and a couple of months ago I purchased the quick release ZCI and dropped it right in. Works like a champ and much more convenient than removing/replacing the screw every time I need to open it up.

Additionally, the table top dust collection / blade guard that comes with the PCS is also compatible with the Contractor as long as you have the quick release ZCI. The problem here is that SS isn't offering the new PCS blade guard as a stand alone product for sale yet. You can only get one with the PCS saw.

My SS dealer tells me (and I've heard speculation here as well) that SS was trying to make the new blade guard available for sale in the first quarter of this year but obviously is running behind schedule on that one.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckenzie View Post
    i wouldn't want anything smaller then 3hp in a cabinet saw.
    +1. I just don't see how "less power" is a selling point...

Are there actually people willing to spend $3k on a large, heavy, non-portable saw, that will probably last them 20+ years, but are unwilling to spend $100 or $200 to have a 220V outlet installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    but are unwilling to spend $100 or $200 to have a 220V outlet installed?
    For many people (including me) having this professionally done can be closer to $1000.

I think in many peoples' situations who don't have 220 available, it will cost more than $200 to have it installed.

I don't see them phasing out the contractor saw though- their products have a lot to offer to professionals, who carry a high insurance burden for their employees. Many of those professionals need the portability. Plus, sawstop has invested R&D in that model, so they might as well continue to sell it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 1.75HP. In my mind, people shouldn't be willing to pay all that much more for this cabinet saw than they would for the contractor saw. The real benefits are only better dust collection and a more favorable trunnion mounting arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    For many people (including me) having this professionally done can be closer to $1000.
    $1000...........I think I am in the wrong buisness. Running a 220 outlet is pretty easy. Even if you have to fish wire the entire length of your house (not terribly difficult) you would still spend less than a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I have just got lucky but, in all the houses I have lived in but, I have always been able to easily get to a basement or attic to run the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Welch View Post
    $1000...........I think I am in the wrong buisness. Running a 220 outlet is pretty easy. Even if you have to fish wire the entire length of your house (not terribly difficult) you would still spend less than a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I have just got lucky but, in all the houses I have lived in but, I have always been able to easily get to a basement or attic to run the wire.
    I looked into having this professionally done before I decided to do it myself. All I needed done was to run wire from a JBox to the receptacle location (about 15-20ft of wire) with the last 8 ft of the run in conduit. In an exposed garage.

Quote: $200.

Had I needed a whole new circuit with a new breaker or a longer run with less access I can only imagine the damage, but my point is that for some of us the cost of 220V can be quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Van's little birdie was right on. And it came a little sooner than I was expecting.

Head over to SS's homepage to see a teaser for the 1.75HP version of the PCS, which runs on 110V.
    Realistically..... This is aimed squarely at the hobbyist who's scared to DEATH of a table saw. 1.75 HP will rip-cut through anything but maybe 6/4 white oak or hard decking stock.

This is the perfect entry point for Delta, Jet, H.D. and Lowes, etc., to start their duffer craftspeople out on when they have a doubt about their abilities, but need to rip pine, poplar and red oak on only an occasional basis.

This isn't meant to be a production machine and will be priced accordingly.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC