Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos of cabinets using two different woods or stain?

Photos of cabinets using two different woods or stain?

I am planning to make some kitchen cabinets. I had a crazy thought of using two different woods for them. I was thinking of using butternut and walnut with one on the face frames and another on the doors. Or even making the rail and stile and face frames one and the raised panel the other.

Anyone tried this and have any photos so I can determine if this is a really dumb idea or one that might work?

Edit: To clarify, I am plan to use solid wood and no veneering. Also, I don't plan to stain anything but figured photos of cabinets that are stained differently might give the same effect to give me an idea if it works. Finally, I am also unsure on if the walnut or butternut would be better as the raised panel (light doors on dark background or dark doors on light background?).

Thanks,

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Notaeh; 05-12-2010 at 3:49 PM. Reason: Clarifications

In a Fine Wood Working mag not too far back they did an article on just that. They did frame & panel doors made from different woods. I don't remember what issue it was.

It isn't crazy at all.

Walnut stiles/rails with figured maple panels would be yummy all around. Cherry and maple would be another good combo. If you do flat panel (recessed) doors there are a ton of options available with veneers and the like.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I have used walnut and butternut together many times. They look great. I just don't have any pictures. If you want a more rustuc look you could use wormy butternut. I have some at home that has some wonderful grain to it.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

They just did that on the Woodsmith Shop that was on PBS this past Saturday. I think it was a rerun. Three options, one was a vennered panel.

Not crazy at all. You have to mock them up though to get the look you want. I love mixing the woods in built up cabinet moldings as well. Now, just FYI two tone kitchen cabinets were "hot" in the last few years but they are now "out", if you or your significant other cares about this. It would be almost impossible to stay "current" with kitchen cabinets however some styles date less quickly, two tone cabinets wll probably date a kitchen to the mid 2000s.

The two woods are beautiful. However, for me, it would be far too busy. I think I would tire of the contrast of many doors.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I like to build everything out of two opposite color woods. Everytime I plan a build I think of if I can do it or not. Never done cabinets but I have seen them painted in 2 opposite colors before and it was interesting to say the least. I think it can be done tastefully but it can also look too busy. Depends on how they are done I'm sure.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I have contrary view. I do some contrast wood work, but I only use the contrasting wood as a very small accent. I am personally turned off by the use of highly contrasting woods in projects.

That said, if you really like the look, you should do it as it will put a smile on your face every time you see and use them.

This subject IMO never gets enough attention... but maybe that is because, as Joe mentioned, there is not a lot of great happy mates...

If you are a member of FWW on-line, you can download the recent article... Mar / april 2010

there is a few very nice pieces that look incredible...but mostly the article shows what not to mate, and some examples of woods that are complimentary...but when viewing the pix, I am not impressed... this is not so easy. The examples of using contrasting wood for embelleshments were all quite nice...so I think Joe is on to something here :-)

I often wondered why people don't stain the same wood to bring out contrast differences in different parts.... I think a few of the box builders on this forum have done some excellent complimentary woods...maybe they can re post...

I built our kitchen several years ago using walnut for all the face frames. The drawer fronts are all solid hickory with simple rounded over edges. Some of those fronts are 9"x36". The doors are hickory frames with white stained glass panels. Everybody who sees the kitchen loves the look.

Perry

Here's a link to some pics of a kitchen done in lyptus and maple. Some like it... some don't..

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Trask/
    David DeCristoforo

I did a cabinet with faceframes and door panels in mesquite, and the door rails and stiles in pecan. It was more of a bold contrast than appeals to me, but the clients who ordered it loved it.

I really like using small contrasting accents, like miter keys, mortise wedges, pegs, butterfly keys, etc. I think it really highlights A&C style pieces very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Here's a link to some pics of a kitchen done in lyptus and maple. Some like it... some don't..

And I like it! To each their own has never been more true!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post

I am in the love it category. Those are magnificent cabs. I love contrast and it gives visual deptch and texture something single species struggle to do. Two more things to mention: 1. larger kitchens seem to carry more contrast easier 2. be careful using species that change color over time, the gorgeous contrast in the beginning may end up a muddled mess after a few years.

One other place besides molding for a small accent with huge power is a beaded face, a bead in a contrasting color can really be a huge pop and lead the eye to the craftmanship.