Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a scoring saw?

what's a scoring saw?

I tried to look this up but found nothing. I have a chance at a delta rt-31. I know it can be used as a 12" table saw, but what is a scoring saw?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I would wait for the experts to chime in to be sure, but I would guess it is a small blade ahead of the main blade that cuts from below just the surface of the underside of the wood to prevent chipout as the main blade cuts through from above.

James

James is correct, the scoring blade on my saw is 80mm in diameter and is two blades that are assembled like a dado set with spacers in between.

The spacers allow you to adjust the kerf so that is a few thou wider than the main blade.

The blade arbour also adjusts horizontally for alignment with the main blade, and vertically to adjust depth of scoring cut.

When cutting melamine or veneered material you cannot identify the top or bottom after the cut, it's that clean. On my saw it was a $500 option.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks Guys!

So it has 2 arbors, and blades? I don't know I'd ever need to use it but it could be nice to have if I learned to use it.

Mark

As Rod eluded to if you're dealing with sheet goods it is supposed to give you an unparalleled cut quality. A ZCI and sharp purpose built blade can get you very close but this is supposed to be the ultimate solution.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that. The saw blades rotate toward each other.

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

That does settle that indeed. Thanks!

are these on sliders only? I never saw one on a cabinet saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    are these on sliders only? I never saw one on a cabinet saw?
    Nope, I've seen them on beam saws, and panel saws as well.

I've never used a good on a tablesaw. Just a piece of junk SCMI and it was more hassle than it was worth. Isn't as critical on veneered material, but with melamine being such a worthless pain in the rear, anything would be better.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 05-12-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Nope, I've seen them on beam saws, and panel saws as well.

I've never used a good on a tablesaw. Just a piece of junk SCMI and it was more hassle than it was worth. Isn't as critical on veneered material, but with melamine being such a worthless pain in the rear, anything would be better.
    I'll agree. I very seldom use the one in my MiniMax, unless I am using that useless pain in the rear, Melamine. And I try never to do that.

Mine hase a conical blade that adjusts for height as well as laterally. The height adjustment allows you to match the blade width in theory, but is hard to use without a powerfeed as stock lifting off of the table changes the cut width.

Yea, and scoring really works, too. I never want to cut veneer sheet stock again without it running (my slider is so equipped), unless it's with my Festool guided saw. Zero splintering.

Larry, I'm not using the adjustable scoring blade on my S315WS slider. Somehow, I also ended up with a "regular" blade for it and it coincidentally matches my Forrest blades for kerf exactly. I have no issues with any degradation of the cut when hand-feeding stock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I'll agree. I very seldom use the one in my MiniMax, unless I am using that useless pain in the rear, Melamine. And I try never to do that.

Mine hase a conical blade that adjusts for height as well as laterally. The height adjustment allows you to match the blade width in theory, but is hard to use without a powerfeed as stock lifting off of the table changes the cut width.
    Yes, that's can be a problem problem with the conical scoring blades if the stock isn't flat. The split type don't have that problem.

Regards, Rod.

That's a saw that got lucky on a Saturday night.
    Sorry. Could not resist.

When using a scoring saw it is important to have both blades sharpened as a set. This insures that you will get an exact match with no line in the material.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    When using a scoring saw it is important to have both blades sharpened as a set. This insures that you will get an exact match with no line in the material.
    Tom, that's a very good point if you have a single piece scoring blade.

My saw has a split saw blade that's assembled like a dado, with shims, so it can be adjusted to the main blade kerf.

Regards, Rod.