Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router preference - PC 890 or Ridgid?

Router preference - PC 890 or Ridgid?

I'm new to dovetails, and I spent a couple of frustrating hours today trying to get a jig setup. Part of the problem is that a couple of years ago, being a beginner and not knowing any better, I bought a cheap Ryobi router that didn't accept standard guide bushings. Then, when a need arose for template routing, I bought this useless Milescraft router base with plastic bushings. So after fighting this setup for a while today, I gave up and decided to go out and get a decent router and bushing set. After a little research, I decided to get a 2 1/4 hp router with variable speed, a DC hookup, and above the table height adjustment so, in addition to hand use, I can drop in into a soon to be built router table. Also, I wanted something in stock locally so I can finish up these shop drawers this week while I have some shop time. At Lowe's, I found the PC 890 set with the fixed and plunge bases on sale for 199. They wouldn't accept my harbor freight 20% off coupon, but I bought it anyway. I decided to try my luck at Home Depot, and they did take the coupon, which got me $40 off the $199 Ridgid kit.

So, one of these is going back. Is there any advantage of one over the other? The specs are very similar. The through column dust collection on the PC looks a little nicer than the plastic attachments on the Ridgid, and I like the placement of the power switch on the PC (it can be reached without taking your hand off the handles). But I like the lifetime service agreement on the Ridgid. Does anyone who has used either of these have a preference for one over the other? Thanks for your advice and opinions.

Lee

Of the two PC for me. The Rigid is harder to move from base to base, the motor is sorta tall and makes it top heavy and there is a decent amount of slop in the plunge base.

Not limited to the two in question I prefer the Bosch 1617EVSPK and the Dewalt DW618PK the Dewalt is $205 shipped from Amazon and the Bosch is about $20 more. The PC would be my third choice but there are at least two other 2 1/4hp "sets" I would prefer after the PC and before the Rigid.

PS if you keep the Rigid make sure it is the R2930 which is the 2 1/4 hp they sometimes slip in the R29302 which is a 2 HP, 11 amp router, I think in the long haul the 2930 will be phased out.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 05-13-2010 at 12:38 AM.

+1 for the PC. I have about a dozen routers and like the PCs best.
    Mike Harrison

I have an older PC matched set and very happy with it. I tell people it was typical for the PC line of routers to have been "bullet proof". Know that PC has a new owner, but hopefully the dumbing down hasn't made it to this line yet. If not, it'll last you until your grandchildren borrow it from you.

No personal experience with the PC 8xx (die-hard 6xx fellow), but I thought you might want to know - there have been a couple threads here expressing dissapointment (to put it kindly) with the plunge base on the PC - 8xx. May be a problem that has been solved - no opinion on my part - I remember them because I was considering the 8xx not too long ago (just stuck with the 690s). You may want to rummage around in the search function.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

P-C plunge base

I have the new 890X P-C plunge base. it certainly appears to be identical to the DeWalt 618 plunge base but machined to accept a P-C 89X motor. The original 89X plunge base was different-no through the base dust collection for starters. Mine seems to work okay. No slop and smooth plunge. What surprised me about this set was the "grip vac" handle. When using it for dados with the base opening covered, it gets nearly all the chips & dust. I expected it to get plugged. it hasn't. It even gets over half the chips when routing edge treatment. I'm sure if I took a LOT of material in one pass it might plug up, I'd probably also get a crappy job. I take 3/16" or so per pass for dados. I'm not commercial so speed is not critical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    No personal experience with the PC 8xx (die-hard 6xx fellow), but I thought you might want to know - there have been a couple threads here expressing dissapointment (to put it kindly) with the plunge base on the PC - 8xx. May be a problem that has been solved - no opinion on my part - I remember them because I was considering the 8xx not too long ago (just stuck with the 690s). You may want to rummage around in the search function.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-13-2010 at 8:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Of the two PC for me. The Rigid is harder to move from base to base, the motor is sorta tall and makes it top heavy and there is a decent amount of slop in the plunge base.

Not limited to the two in question I prefer the Bosch 1617EVSPK and the Dewalt DW618PK the Dewalt is $205 shipped from Amazon and the Bosch is about $20 more. The PC would be my third choice but there are at least two other 2 1/4hp "sets" I would prefer after the PC and before the Rigid.

PS if you keep the Rigid make sure it is the R2930 which is the 2 1/4 hp they sometimes slip in the R29302 which is a 2 HP, 11 amp router, I think in the long haul the 2930 will be phased out.
    Van, thanks for your thoughts. I always enjoy reading your posts because you have clear opinions and like to rank things 1,2,3. I am the same way, I just don't have a ranking for routers because, until recently, I haven't been in the market. Your post has me realizing that, in my haste to buy something, I may have missed some better options, and I have definitely gotten away from my original plan, which was to buy a router to dedicate to dovetailing now and get a larger router (maybe a Freud or Triton) for table use in the future.

So, I'm going to ask a different question (I'm hijacking my own thread). If you were a 3 router shop, one for general use edging and dadoes (I happen to have a little 3/4 hp fixed base Makita that has been a work horse for this), one dedicated to a dovetail jig, and one in a table, what would your dovetail and table routers be?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Kent, thanks for the info. If I keep the PC (and I am definitely leaning toward it at this point based on y'alls suggestions), I will try out the plunge base carefully before committing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have the new 890X P-C plunge base. it certainly appears to be identical to the DeWalt 618 plunge base but machined to accept a P-C 89X motor. The original 89X plunge base was different-no through the base dust collection for starters. Mine seems to work okay. No slop and smooth plunge. What surprised me about this set was the "grip vac" handle. When using it for dados with the base opening covered, it gets nearly all the chips & dust. I expected it to get plugged. it hasn't. It even gets over half the chips when routing edge treatment. I'm sure if I took a LOT of material in one pass it might plug up, I'd probably also get a crappy job. I take 3/16" or so per pass for dados. I'm not commercial so speed is not critical for me.
    Curt, thanks for the anecdote. I am leaning towards keeping the PC just for the dust collection, and maybe even using it to replace my little Makita for everyday use. The more I improve the DC in my shop, the more I dislike doing tasks that spray dust everywhere; and routing dadoes with that little makita is one of my biggest tasks producing uncollected dust. The kit I bought doesn't have the GripVac, so DC is only available with the plunge base. If I keep this router, I might have to get the D handle vac attachment you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    If not, it'll last you until your grandchildren borrow it from you.
    Don, if that's true I will be very impressed, considering my son will be 2 next month and my second child is still in the oven .

Thank you guys for advice.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have the new 890X P-C plunge base... No slop and smooth plunge.....
    Curt - very glad to hear it. I will delete negative thoughts from my memory cells. The PC router line has been one of the stalwarts that didn't get cheapened-up, and I'm glad they are even taking steps to improve it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bidwell View Post

So, I'm going to ask a different question (I'm hijacking my own thread). If you were a 3 router shop, one for general use edging and dadoes (I happen to have a little 3/4 hp fixed base Makita that has been a work horse for this), one dedicated to a dovetail jig, and one in a table, what would your dovetail and table routers be?

Lee
    As for the router table, I really prefer a PC 7518 in a lift but that is a $600 +/- solution, without a lift I prefer the Triton though the Freud is probably the second best and sometimes you can find uber-deals on the big Freud. Those are the two REALLY table friendly routers, the rest tend to have bigger compromises.

For a dovetail router The PC 690 is an excellent option the 690LR is about $130 has all the power you need for dovetails, no variable speed but again not an issue wth MOST dovetailing. One other option I like is the Dewalt 616, the thing I like best about this router is the squat motor and the resulting low center of gravity which is nice for use on dovetail jigs.

For dovetails, I have two PC 890's set up, the first router has the dovetail bit and the second router has the straight bit installed. Call me lazy, but after I got my setup dialed in, and for the most part, I have never had to switch bits while making drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    As for the router table, I really prefer a PC 7518 in a lift but that is a $600 +/- solution, without a lift I prefer the Triton though the Freud is probably the second best and sometimes you can find uber-deals on the big Freud. Those are the two REALLY table friendly routers, the rest tend to have bigger compromises.

For a dovetail router The PC 690 is an excellent option the 690LR is about $130 has all the power you need for dovetails, no variable speed but again not an issue wth MOST dovetailing. One other option I like is the Dewalt 616, the thing I like best about this router is the squat motor and the resulting low center of gravity which is nice for use on dovetail jigs.
    Thanks for confirming my choices for the table router (the lift is definitely out for my first router table). The PC690 is what I went to Lowe's to get initially. Then I realized I could get it cheaper online, and couldn't bring myself to pay more just to get it immediately. Then I fell into the "if I just spend this much more, I can get all these extra feature" trap. The other thing I didn't really like about the PC690 was the placement of the switch - behind a dust cover at the top of the motor. My little Makita has the switch up there, and I find it inconvenient (and a little unsafe) to have to let go with one hand to turn off the router. Maybe I'll check out the Dewalt you suggest.

Based on yall's advice, I think I will keep the PC890 kit for now for general use and for dovetailing, return the Ridgid, and add the other routers at a later date. I'm still interested in other opinions regarding table and dovetail - dedicated routers.

Thanks. You guys have really helped.

Lee

"for general use and for dovetailing"

Best mid range router for nearly all reasonable apps: DW 621

I agree with Mr. Warner and suggest the DW621 for an all around router.

Thumbs up

You're comments on the preference for the features of the PC tilt the scale in my book...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Well, based on all the advice, I decided to keep the PC. But I was still a little irked that I couldn't get the 20% off coupon, so I gave it a shot at another Lowe's up the road (and I took my 2 year old with me for the cute factor ). They accepted the coupon without hassle, out the door for $170. I'm a happy camper.

thanks for the help.

Lee