Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two part wood bleach

Two part wood bleach

Just curious to know where you have purchased two part wood bleach (the part A + B stuff) either locally or via mail order?

Thanks..

The local painting supply by me has it.

Klean-Strip makes the product (under removers and strippers)

http://www.kleanstrip.com/

I don't believe it can be shipped anymore as the A part is pretty strong sodium hydroxide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jewitt View Post
    Klean-Strip makes the product (under removers and strippers)

http://www.kleanstrip.com/

I don't believe it can be shipped anymore as the A part is pretty strong sodium hydroxide.
    Jeff thanks, yes, the Kleanstrip two part bleach product is what I was attempting to find and it is as hard as hens teeth to find. Haven't been able to find any source locally that carries the product..

It's been a long time since I bought any but as I recall I got mine at Woodcraft. But I checked and it's not listed in their product index. Woodworker's Supply lists it in a gallon quantity, which is pretty expensive. As was noted, you will probably won't be able to buy it and have it shipped. I wold check with a store that carries Klean Strip products like Home Depot and see if they can special order it. (Nothing to do with your question, but one part contains sodium hydroxide and the other hydrogen peroxide. I was going to try making my own as I have access to those two chemicals but digging and digging failed to turn up the strengths (percentages) to use. Not that I expected to. )
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    It's been a long time since I bought any but as I recall I got mine at Woodcraft. But I checked and it's not listed in their product index. Woodworker's Supply lists it in a gallon quantity, which is pretty expensive. As was noted, you will probably won't be able to buy it and have it shipped. I wold check with a store that carries Klean Strip products like Home Depot and see if they can special order it. (Nothing to do with your question, but one part contains sodium hydroxide and the other hydrogen peroxide. I was going to try making my own as I have access to those two chemicals but digging and digging failed to turn up the strengths (percentages) to use. Not that I expected to. )
    Richard good point, the Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits I buy from Home Despot is Klean Strip branded. Need to check with HD to see they will be willing to special order the part A + B Klean Strip bleach.. Mixing one's own bleach doesn't sound so bad, right about now..

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Richard good point, the Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits I buy from Home Despot is Klean Strip branded. Need to check with HD to see they will be willing to special order the part A + B Klean Strip bleach.. Mixing one's own bleach doesn't sound so bad, right about now..
    Went to the Home Despot special order desk to inquire about the two part bleach and they were as clueless as every other store that I have contacted, they don't carry the product, don't list it as special order, but the Klean Strip (aka. WM Barr) claims that Home Despot is one of their retailers for the product..

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Went to the Home Despot special order desk to inquire about the two part bleach and they were as clueless as every other store that I have contacted, they don't carry the product, don't list it as special order, but the Klean Strip (aka. WM Barr) claims that Home Despot is one of their retailers for the product..
    Went to visit family back in Central NJ. Just on a whim, I checked with one of the large paint only stores in NJ and wouldn't you know the first store I called had the two part bleach in stock (please no NJ jokes), needless to say I purchased the product. So there is a happy ending, even if it means having to drive 660 miles to purchase the product..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    Nothing to do with your question, but one part contains sodium hydroxide and the other hydrogen peroxide. I was going to try making my own as I have access to those two chemicals but digging and digging failed to turn up the strengths (percentages) to use. Not that I expected to. )
    The Hydrogen Peroxide is 30%. I am not sure of the Sodium Hydroxide but I would guess a 5% solution by weight as a starting point.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Jewitt; 06-10-2010 at 3:24 PM.

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)

Home made or large scale bleech projects

Sodium hydroxide is easy to find. Go to the plumbing chemical section and look for Draino, or an equivalent containing sodium hydroxide.

People who run pressure washing equipment buy it in the five gallon containers. It improves their ability to clean concrete. Applied with a garden sprayer, on the end of a lawn hose) to mossy roofs, it reduces the effort of moss removal. Finally, it can bring an old fence back to life by removing much of the weathered surface wood. Protect plants and other surfaces, such as by wetting them down.

Thirty-five percent hydrogen peroxide is available at health food stores. Approximately a half quart runs about twenty.

By the way, farmers buy it in the fifty-five gallon drums, for around four hundred. As such, you might be able to get in touch with one who'd sell you a gallon for twenty (a profit to him and a big savings to you).

Both of these are nasty products. YOU MUST wear protection (eye protection, mask, clothing and chemical gloves (real gloves, not the disposable type).

Just for reference, sodium percarbonate can also be found in bulk. Mixed with water, it produces hydrogen peroxide and soda ash (a mild cleaner). For small [expensive] quantities, just buy some Oxyclean, an oxygenating bleach.

Sodium percarbonate doesn't have the kick other things do, but it does play havoc on mold and bacteria. Warm water seems to improve it's effectiveness.

NO - do NOT use Drano. Drano is Sodium Hydroxide with metal (I think aluminum) shavings so it bubbles/froths when in contact with water (helps to physically dislodge obstructions)

Red Devil Lye is a better choice if you can find it - pure Sodium Hydroxide.

Jeff

A search on eBay returns several quantity sizes available of Sodium Hydroxide(in bead form-2lbs @ $4-5). I assume this is a acceptable form to use?
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

wood bleach

You can buy 27% peroxide at a pool supply store as Sofswim or Bacquacil shock. Roebic Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener is pure sodium hydroxide.
    Check out http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn165.pdf for the recipe.
    Last edited by Mike Morgan; 06-12-2010 at 9:41 AM. Reason: add URL

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)

Drano crystals versus liquid Drano

A friend just gave me some Drano. It was crystal form and, regarding it, you are right, it contained metal flakes (clearly visible flakes of aluminum), which bubbled when water was added. However, I also have a jug of liquid Drano, which did not indicate it has aluminum in it. Of course, the bubbling effect would have been wasted in the jug and resulting pressure probably would have made for a disaster.