Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess you need to empty your DC even if it's a Thien...

I guess you need to empty your DC even if it's a Thien...

I guess I really have been making dust lately. I noticed earlier today that the plastic collection bag under my HF DC was getting chips for the first time, instead of virtually everything going in the garbage can under the Thien separator.

Knocking on the metal can produced as dull as sound as you can imagine.

Here's the full can. Amazing how much chips jointing and planing can produce.

Someone had asked me a while ago what the inside of my separator looks like. Well, here's what it looks like caked full of wood chips:

I guess you have to empty the sucker eventually. I guess noticing wood chips in the plastic bag will be my clue (or maybe I'll just bang on the side of the metal can more often).

To judge the efficiency of the separator, imagine that 30 gal garbage can full of shavings, and less than 1/2 cup of wood shavings in the bag. Pretty impressive efficiency.

I typically kick the side of my plastic drum to see how full it is (lightly mind you...) before turning on the DC... But yeah, I have done that in one afternoon to my 55 gallon drum. I just noticed stuff swirling in the bag and figured I should check it out...

Great pic though. Pretty impressive that you got it that full...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You need a high dust alarm. Anyone with a two stage system who doesn't regularly check his chip bin or who can't see it because it is in a closet or outside needs one. It is especially important to those with cartridge filters. Just ask folks who had to clean one after they overfilled their bins and then filled the filter- what a nasty chore!!!

I made a simple, inexpensive, reliable one with parts from Lowes. Note, it requires a specific sensor (Summit Lighting CP688 Replacement Universal Photo Eye) that looks identical (see pic below) to many others but is slightly different- it has no internal delay. It can be wired to a light or strobe, an audible alarm, or, by adding a relay, turn off your DC. Sorry, I don't have a single write-up about it, but listed below are my NC Woodworker threads that provide all the details.

Sensor:

Sensor mounted on cyclone:

Supplemental light source:

Another unit in fancy packaging:

Mounted on an Oneida cyclone:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...-new-pics-7195

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...-w-sketch-7240

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...m-w-pics-13220

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...m-sensor-19580

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...st-alarm-27761
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 05-14-2010 at 2:45 PM.

The neat thing about cyclones is that when they get full you are able to fully pack the inside of the filter with chips. Not damaging but a real DOH! moment.

I think I am up to 4 times doing that now.

I have seen a couple different ideas like the light and they all seem to work pretty well. I just haven't gotten around to setting anything up.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Wow, neat idea. The electric tinkerer in me wants to run out and build this. Any issues with the light source (heat) and combustability of the wood dust? Not really an ignition source, or very hot, but I wonder if an LED would be a safer approach.

Read your thread on NC Woodworker. Nice. I see I'm not the first one to suggest an LED. Ah, late to the party again.

And I see you've incorporated one as well. Doh................
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-14-2010 at 4:26 PM.

I cut a slot in my dust collection can and used RTV to glue and seal a lexan window on the side of the can. All you have to do is look at the little window. If you see sawdust covering it, time to empty.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I cut a slot in my dust collection can and used RTV to glue and seal a lexan window on the side of the can. All you have to do is look at the little window. If you see sawdust covering it, time to empty.
    How low tech, and undoubtedly effective.

Does the lexan get full of dust before the can fills and give false alarms?

Also, what's RTV?

potato / po ta toe

RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizer... fancy name sometimes given for caulk, usually of the silicone variety :

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Qualmann View Post
    RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizer... fancy name sometimes given for caulk, usually of the silicone variety :
    LOL. The things you learn some days.

Blog Entries
    Timely post. I had a note to check mine that got buried under some work on the bench and went unnoticed for a few days. Cyclone and bagger both needed to be emptied. The cyclone wasn't bad but the bagger (handles just the jointer and planer) was real full. Thanks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How 'bout super low tech and empty it more often. Wifey did a lot of planing and sanding over a couple days while I was at my day job. 30 gal. was very full and she made mention. What was missed is that there was a plug up the cylclone cone that was not noticed or emptied. Over the next few days, again while I was at work and while wifey was an exuberant woodshop worker, the dust and chips bypassed the cone and filled the filter cartridge. She did ultimately notice (bless her) while routinely doing the emptying chores (double bless her). Found the blockage and yes, a lot of blowing, tapping, cleaning of the filter chamber (5HP Super Gorilla). Nasty? Well, I wouldn't go that far...... We will henceforth merely check more often. I ain't putting in a detector--got one already, wifey.

I made my Thien baffle out of Lexan so I can see directly into the can - best idea I ever had in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Harrison View Post
    I made my Thien baffle out of Lexan so I can see directly into the can - best idea I ever had in the shop!
    Cool idea. You should take a video of it running and post it.

Window on dust bin

I think I've posted this before, it's low tech and works great. The 4" PVC cleanout on top allows me to pack down fluffy shavings like poplar so that I can keep working when the bin gets full. The bin is just under 200 gal., and there is a trapdoor on the outside to empty it with a shovel.
    Attached Images Attached Images