Thread: T&G Ceiling on Patio Questions

T&G Ceiling on Patio Questions

A friend and I are gettaing ready to install a 1x6 Douglas Fir T&G ceiling on his patio. We are going to put the flat side exposed, not the v groove edge exposed.

When installing, should I tap the T&G together for a very tight fit, similar to a floor, or should I just do a "hand tight" fit so there is allowance for expansion & contraction

We are gluing and nailing each board to each rafter. We are in Austin, TX, so we do get drastic humidity fluctuations.

Also, should I slightly bevel the end cuts so we are not butting flag edges together? I'm thinking this will give a closer, cleaner butt joint.

Should I put any glue (liquid nails) on the butt joing?.

Any and all answers and other suggestions appreciated.

I see you are overloaded with ideas, Kevin. Anyway, here is my situation and I hope this helps. I live in a home built in 1950 and have the actual blueprints. The V groove, (exposed), redwood used on all porch walls and ceilings was not glued. The den was supposed to be a large porch but was converted to a den during construction, therefore not getting the outdoor exposure. It does pop and crack like crazy, though. I think it would be best to let the wood move, naturally. For me, the V groove is the character of the application. When people first see the den, their reaction is usually "wow".
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I would leave the glue off and let the wood move.

Glueing will most likely just cause cracks when the wood moves later on. Most of the initial movement will most likely be shrinkage, so I'd tap/clamp the pieces as tight as possible to install. One of the reasons the V is usually exposed is that it hides the gaps that will occur as it shrinks and moves later on.

Hi Kevin, I live in So Cal so I don't have the humidity that you have. I installed T and G western red cedar on my house front porch and shop porch.

I first installed 5/8" dry wall on the ceiling for a fire barrier. Then I installed the T and G. The way my T and G was cut, the V grove shows on both side. I used PL Construction Adhesive, and glued the T and G to the dry wall, not board to board.

I recommend not to use butt joints when placing your boards end to end. use scarf joints. Cut the ends at 45 deg, apply PL adhesive and finish nail. In addition I blind nailed the entire ceiling with 2 1/2" staples, and used finish nails for the scarf joints.

My ceiling has been up for several years and looks great. I don't know what effect your humidity would have. I would at least tap your joints together, get them as tight as you can, and glue the scarf joints.

Sam