Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing leather to face of vise

Gluing leather to face of vise

Besides hot hide glue, what will work ?
    Last edited by Thomas love; 05-15-2010 at 9:49 AM.

Since epoxies work with darn near anything I'd think a standard 2 part 5 min epoxy you can pickup at a home center work just fine as well. You'd just need to mix up a sufficient quantity for the size of your vise face before it dried....might be a case for using a 30 min epoxy instead.

JD

3. The think about epoxy is that its hard to reverse. I'd tend to use the superglue stuff. If it comes off, just reglue.

Since the force being applied to the leather would primarily be compression and some shearing it seems you would want something pliable. Something like rubber cement or a more tenacious form of that might work well. A more rigid form of adhesive may crack under pressure. However, the leather may absorb enough of that force to keep it eavenly applied. Let us know what works. I'm may be doing the same thing soon.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas love View Post
    Besides hot hide glue, what will work ?
    I used plain old elmers white glue. It is what Chris Schwarz recommends and it worked great for me. He provides instruction on the Popular Woodworking blog.

I used 3M Spray Adhesive for mine. Worked well.

Mike

My question for you folks is where did you get the leather you used?

I found several pieces at a Michaels Arts & Craft Store but the size and selection of pieces was disappointing.

Mike

reluctantly, I got it at Michael's. Overpriced and weak selection.

I get my leather at Tandy leather, and I glue it down with contact cement. This is especially useful for some of the sanding blocks I've made. For example, I make a sanding block out of a closet pole. Then I wrapped it with leather. With contact cement, it bonds instantly so I don't have to worry about how to hold it in place while the glue dries (not a trivial task with thick leather!).

I got a package of scraps from Hobby Lobby years ago. Different colors and sizes, but it was something like 5 pounds for less than $10 if I remember right.

Tandy sells Leather Glue that is very soft..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

http://mattsbasementworkshop.com/spo...podcast-no-34/

+1 for spray adhesive.

I got a half garbage bag full of scrap leather from an upholsterer friend, I line drawers with it as well.

Darnell

FWIW I believe vegetable tanned leather will work much better than oil tanned. At least in my experience.

I've heard a few say spray on adhesive but my experience with it is that it's not much of a glue that holds up over time. I'd be using something stronger like contact cement - that can still be removed when the leather needs to be replaced.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Try shops that do car interiors, or in my neighborhood, aircraft interiors. They have lots of scraps of soft leather in colors that match wood.

I use 3M 90 spray adhesive. Apply a couple of coats. It soaks into the leather.