Thread: OK, I got the info from Woodpecker on the PRL cleaning/repair...

OK, I got the info from Woodpecker on the PRL cleaning/repair...

It recommends using lacquer thinner to help dissolve tar and pitch. I don't have any, and don't foresee any reason to have any (lacquer thinner, not tar or pitch). I do have some CMT blade cleaner, which should be gentle, and good on pitch and tar. Anyone see any reason not to use it? I'd like to work on this today instead of contacting them and waiting to hear back.
    Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    I've got some lacquer thinner. Same quart I've had for years so I know what you mean about not needing it often. If the intent is to dissolve gunk for the purposes of cleaning things up, I see no problem using any cleaner we would normally use for cutters and such. The preference for lacquer thinner may be the minimal residue it would leave.

If so, after cleaning, follow up with some naphtha (Ronson's lighter fluid) and it should take care of any residue that almost any cleaner might leave behind. I assume the step following cleaning is lubrication and they probably don't want any "unknowns" in the mix. The naphtha will gas off and leave a very clean, dry surface.

You mention a repair. Was something damaged or just worn. I'm just trying to learn what to watch for as my PRL ages. It gets used . . a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that's probably more my problem...mine doesn't get used a lot. Over the past few months, it just got progressively harder to crank up and down. Then from one week to the next it got harder by a magnitude of about 50. So I figured I needed to clean it. It really doesn't seem that dirty. The brake mechanism had some shavings and dust in it, but it still turned and released easily.
    I decided to use some PB Blaster super penetrate, thinking at least that would leave a slick residue if anything. Of course, it might not clean out anything. I soaked for 30 minutes in the all down position. Now doing it for an hour in the all up position. We'll see if this helps. It did crank a little easier moving it to the up position.
    One of the things to try was to make sure the crank gear/mechanism (they call the drive socket) was perpendicular to the mechanism. I loosened it per the instructions, but all you can do is wiggle it back and forth about 3/32" and tighten it back down. I couldn't see that it had any real adjustment. And perpendicular to the motor mount? The drive posts? Something else? It didn't say.
    If you would like the instructions they sent me for future reference, I'd be happy to forward them to you. I would think they would have these posted on their website, but I didn't see them.
    Thanks for the help! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Just put it back together, and not real change. I've got the CMT blade cleaner soaking on it now. Guess we'll see. May be boxing it up and sending it in. Jim.

Have you tried a little bit of wd-40? It desolves pitch and tar also. We would use it after cutting pine trees down to get the sap off of our hands. Works very well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Just put it back together, and not real change. I've got the CMT blade cleaner soaking on it now. Guess we'll see. May be boxing it up and sending it in. Jim.
    Grrr. Stating the obvious but, "somethin' just ain't right here". It almost sound like it is out of sync and binding against itself. I know that was already discussed but I am wondering what else it could be. As you say; maybe a trip home for a visit is in order on this one.

– Samuel Butler

Alan, I almost used some, but used the PB Blaster penetrating lube instead.
    Glenn, I came to the same conclusion. It is nestled inside a double box with a 3/4" layer of rigid foam sheet insulation between the plate and the first box, and another layer between that box and the second box. Then some more pieces protecting the sides. Hopefully it will ride to Ohio safely!!! I'm kind of thinking like you are, that something jumped at some point. When I had the lift at almost the far bottom, I could count the threads between the motor body and the end nut, and they were one thread off. That's not a scientific measurement, but.... Oh, and one of the posts I could turn by hand fairly easily. The other post would turn about 1/4 turn, then stop. Do you think they will tell me it is beyond repair, and can they send a PRLV2 out instead? Yeah, probably not.
    Thanks for the help guys!! Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Do you think they will tell me it is beyond repair, and can they send a PRLV2 out instead?
    Maybe, but I'm spoiled by the auto-carriage lock. Of course trading that for the QR feature . . . . I could probably be persuaded. .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-16-2010 at 6:43 PM.

– Samuel Butler

My biggest problem would be that the PRLV2 would clash with my Incra fence system. I'm afraid to see what this puppy will cost to ship. Its about 18 lbs. I told the wife that when she is able to take it, ship it the cheapest way that she can but still be able to insure it for 300.00. Jim.