Thread: Is the G0440 too small for me?

Is the G0440 too small for me?

I'm thinking about upgrading my dust collection and am looking at the Grizzly offerings. It looks like even the G0440 would be a major upgrade from my 2HP 12" fan Jet blower and Oneida component cyclone. But I'm wondering if it will leave me wanting for more? However the ~$4-500 price difference between it and the G0441 and the fact that my existing electrical circuit will be sufficient are quite attractive.

Shop is 30x32 with 12' ceilings which is important because it adds 4-8 extra feet of pipe over more common celing heights. My longest run is my jointer at close to 50' of 6" pipe, 360 degrees of elbows, a 6-4 reducer and a 6' length of hose. I plan to shorten the hose, but will end up with a similar amount of 4" pipe instead and another 90-180 degrees of elbows. My miter saw is similar with just a little less straight pipe and it will be 6" all the way to the hood, probably with no hose.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 05-16-2010 at 9:34 PM.

I think I answered my own question for the most part.

I just ran ductwork numbers through the chart in this month's Wood magazine and compared to the performance curves Grizzly publishes.

• For the jointer numbers above I come up with about 5.6" of static pressure. Looking at the curve for the G0440 that's a little under 1000CFM. Its a little over 1250 for the G0441. Cleaning up the hose would get that number up.
    • My TS is about 40' and the equivalent of 5 90's and 2' of 6" flex. That works out to about 4.75" SP which is about 1100/1350CFM.
    • My planer is almost identical to the TS since they share a drop from the ceiling except that it has a little less length and a very short length of 4" hose. I was already getting virtually everything in testing with a very long piece of 4" hose so this could only be an improvement.
    • My miter saw is about 45' and 4 90's, hopefully no flex. About 4.2" SP, so just a little higher CFM on each curve.
    • Router table is similar to the jointer but about 10' less 6" pipe so pretty similar performance would be expected there.
    • Most of my smaller tools are significantly closer in my new arrangement.

All seem more than adequate even by Bill Pentz's "must get everything so you need 1000cfm" approach. My current blower is "rated" at 1200CFM max without the cyclone and ductwork so real world a SWAG is that I'd double my airflow with the G0441? Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    All seem more than adequate even by Bill Pentz's "must get everything so you need 1000cfm" approach. My current blower is "rated" at 1200CFM max without the cyclone and ductwork so real world a SWAG is that I'd double my airflow with the G0441? Make sense?
    Why not just upgrade your current blower?

Matt, I went through the same thought process a couple of years ago. I considered whether the added cost of the 441 was justified and decided for me, it wasn't. I'm not sure I understand your calculations, but I have a 440 in the attic of my shop (intake on the cyclone is a good 17' above the shop floor) and a far less than ideal ductwork layout, which includes a couple (sometimes three) 90 degree bends for most tools and and a "T" fitting at the ceiling where two runs meet and go through into the attic. Awful from a design standpoint, but it really makes little difference. The 440 is more than powerful enough to overcome my design compromises. That being said it is hard to say how analogous my situation may be to yours. Don't know if this really helps, but figured I would offer it anyway.

I've thought about that but the cyclone I have now is the Oneida C650 component cyclone and at the time I went with it they were saying that I was on the line between needing this one and the next step up with the Jet blower I have. Upgrading would definitely mean "too big" which I assume would just mean separation wouldn't be as good. Since I exhaust outside, that's probably not the end of the world but basically its an unknown.

Also, the next step up would probably be a 14" impeller/3HP unit. The Jet DC1900 is no longer available, the General and Grizzly 3HP models have ~12-ish" blowers, and the Powermatic 3HP with the 14" blower is just shy of the cost of the Grizzly cyclone system.

It just seems like the best value, considering resale value of the equipment I have, is to go with a new system which has a known performance.

Matt, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade the the largest impeller I could afford. You will learn to love airflow. At my table saw, for example, I use three inputs. One in the cabinet, one in the Shark Guard, and one in a Loc Line that I move around depending on where the dust is getting thrown. On my bandsaw and jointer I use an above table Loc Line to gather the dust that always ends up flying around the table. When I had a shaper in my shop basement (where my Clear Vue is located) I used three inputs... Unfortunately, with my shaper now in my garage shop and the much less powerful Delta 50-760 I don't have the airflow to use three hoses. When I sand I like to position a 6" hose near the piece so that the dust not collected by my Festool is pulled away. The more airflow the better.

Plus, it's fun to show off.

As most I love to upgrade and though it appears you do not need to upgrade my opinion would be IF you upgrade make a bigger jump, not sure the step up would be worth the money or trouble.

Well, despite the fact I think the G0440 would have been big enough, I decided to get the G0441 to avoid future regret. I also wanted the extra 20 gallons in the drum and adding that to the G0440 would have eaten up almost 1/3 the difference.

Matt, when you err on the large side, it's hard to go wrong. A 3hp DC is not too much for a shop your size. You are getting a 15-1/2" impeller and a 19.5A motor rather than 14-1/2"/12.5A. Not far behind the 5hp DC with 16" impeller and 22.4A motor and $1000 difference! Most home shops have only one machine and a DC running at one time. Hopefully your load center can handle both.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Matt,

I just went to the Grizzly site to look at the GO-441. Thats a nice unit.

PHM

Thats a great choice, the "best buy" of their cyclones!