Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechmate build

Mechmate build

I am very interested in getting into the CNC side of woodworking and have decided to build a Mechmate. I have visited the forum they have many times and found tons of information there, just a couple questions for the creekers that may have one or have been around one in action.

First, I have read through all the motor selection pages on their forum but what what do you all think of the Oriental motors? I am looking at going with a belt reduction unit to minimize slop and would prefer to start with higher end motors. Any benefits to going with better motors than the ones they suggest?

Next, are you running a spindle or router and if so any comments on the model you are using? I am leaning towards a Milwaukee 5625 like in my router table but am open to suggestions. I know a great deal of motor and router selection is based on what I plan on cutting, but right now my ideas are so wide ranging that I would rather over-build than be lacking.

My wife and I are planning to move in about a year to Michigan, where we plan to build a house and I will have a separate shop (right now I am limited to a 2 car garage). How horrible would it be to move one of these machines? The only reason I haven't started a build yet is the idea of taking it all apart, I've heard when complete there is quite a bit of metal and it weighs quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike

Hi Mike,
    I am currently building a MechMate with a 60x96 working space. I am using the Oriental FK299F4.5 motor with the belt drive. What motors are you thinking of using?

I'm looking at the same motors, just curious if anyone found an upgrade or if no upgrade is needed.

Did you build the belt reduction units or buy them?

I am building them. I think that these are pretty robust motors especially after they get reduced 4:1

Where are you getting the parts for your belt drives? I checked out a few sites online (Mcmaster and Motion Industries), just trying to compare prices and quality.

Also, are you planning on a spindle or a router? I'm really happy with the Milwaukee 5625 in my router table and am considering using one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reinholtz View Post
    Where are you getting the parts for your belt drives? I checked out a few sites online (Mcmaster and Motion Industries), just trying to compare prices and quality.

Also, are you planning on a spindle or a router? I'm really happy with the Milwaukee 5625 in my router table and am considering using one of these.
    Some people have been using the Milwaukee, and like it.

If your not going to go with a spindle I wouldn't go with anything less than a 3-3.5 HP variable speed router on a full sized machine. Having a relay to start/stop the router via software is a must too.

I would find out if there are any after market collets available for the Milwaukee. I bought the precision collets precisebits.com sells and they are worth every penny. The ER style nut and spanner wrench makes bit changes much easier, even if you over tighten the nut by mistake.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 05-18-2010 at 6:08 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

I am going with the 5625. I got the belts and pulleys from sdp-si.com. There is a list of part numbers on the MechMate site. The parts are good and the company shipped fairly quickly.

Chuck- Thanks for the links, I found the parts lists on the MM forum and ordered them this morning. I've used VXB before, they are fantastic to deal with.

I ordered the motors from Oriental the other day as well, parts should be coming in pretty quickly.

I'm also going to go with the Gecko controls, most likely the 203V.

Chuck- Thanks for the links, I found the parts lists on the MM forum and ordered them this morning. I've used VXB before, they are fantastic to deal with.

I ordered the motors from Oriental the other day as well, parts should be coming in pretty quickly.

I'm also going to go with the Gecko controls, most likely the 203V.

Alright, a source for spare parts... oops you're in Cali, too far to walk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Alright, a source for spare parts... oops you're in Cali, too far to walk

Yeah, that would be a hike...

I use VXB extensively for work, they are great- customer service rocks! I have quite a few parts coming in, most should be here this week. I think I'm going to start by building a smaller machine to learn on over the next year, it would be a lot easier to move than a full 5' x 9' machine.

I also started looking into the precision collets mentioned, sounds like they are really worth it. There was a pretty interesting system (Avenger) being discussed on the MM forum for auto tool changing but the manufacturer seems to be bumping out the date.

If building a smaller machine it seems a lot of people like teh hitachi M12VC. Looks like it is 79 dB vs 88dB of my 618 Dewalts. K2CNC makes pretty nice mounts for the routers too and they also sell the precision collets. I will check out precisebits for their pricing too.

Ordered out the K2 router mount for my machine today.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I didn't see this thread until now. I have built a MechMate (#16). If you have questions, I might be able to help.

50"x120", Porter Cable 3 1/4hp router, Started with Keling 906oz. steppers, then did belt reduction 3to1.

Mike
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-30-2010 at 7:06 AM. Reason: Removed link to forum

I built one too.

I built #31

I'm not sure that I'd be much help, because mine was built with the opposite set of parameters - as cheaply as possible.

The plans are excellent, and I have no doubt that the oriental motors which are suggested are suitable for what it is intended to do.

They would be a significant upgrade for the fulling motors I purchased, but despite that, mine work well (I make boats)

Mines # 23

Up to now I have no problems with my Fullings and 3:1 gearboxes.I will also use them on no 23 B an C.The MM is doing what is expected of it.Ask if you need advice.

I love to see this !!! - Just feel free to go over to the website and ask away. Nice to see the MechMate team over here on the Mill also !!!
    (I'm MetalHead on the MechMate forum) !!!