Thread: Master Bath - PICS

Master Bath - PICS

Hi Guys,

I've been working on two bathroom renovations in my house. The first is a new master bath, and thought I would post some photos of the floor. It was a tough choice to go with wood, but we could not resist. This is going to be a low-traffic-adults-only area (I can dreaming anyway). I have a couple of coats of Waterlox down, and one coat of Shellac. Not real happy with the shellac, and the fixtures get installed on Tuesday, so there is only a little bit of corrections I can get in before the plumber. For good or bad, I've done everything but the plumbing...

I made the nosing, and there is a simple walnut counter for an "above counter" basin. It looks pretty sweet when the sink-counter are put together. The floor is raised to accomidate the plumbing, and I chose this method to make the space a little more "private" feeling.

The marble island I'm standing on is for the toilet, I was worried about sweating from the toilet. When I put this in I became a bit worried that it would overpower the wood, now it looks down-right-dreary next to the wood.

The wood is 4 inch quartersawn walnut, bought through West Penn Hardwoods. It was actually milled by a place in OH, nice milling, nice wood, bad shipping. I had a fair amount of damage, and had just enough material to finish.

Anyway, the pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a beautiful floor, Jim. With so much oak being used in flooring, it's very nice to see other species deployed "down there"! I am curious as to why you're putting on shellac after the Waterlox...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim,

I was paranoid about wet feet. Probably too paranoid.

My experience with waterlox is that I can put two coats down and have nice even distribution, but if I go for a third, I some times get a sticky spot which just won't dry real well.

I put the shellac down, looking for additional surface/edge protection, particularly where the boards join.

I'm going to let it harden up some more, then decide where to go with it. I am in a time crunch with a ton of stuff to do, and that will dictate how much attention this gets. I have a new daughter coming tomorrow, so this is sort of low on the priority list!

Shellac is an excellent moisture barrier, but offers little protection from standing water. The Waterlox is actually better in that respect. Perhaps doing your third coat of the latter using a pad and thined a bit will help with the curing issue?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice floor

that is a beuatiful floor Jim. I like the marble island for the toilet. Appropriate for a throne.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Rob

Jim....I love that walnut floor! It's beautiful......the marble should work well below the toilet. I like your tastes!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Jim, that's one regal looking washroom! Between the floor, the marble and the stained glass, you've got quite the great looking project there! (yeppers, the stained glass really caught my eye, as I'm taking a beginner's stained glass class right now to help me pass the winter time!)
    great work,
    regards,
    Christine

Jim -

The raised floor does give it a definite boundary. The walnut looks like a beautiful choice for the floor. The above counter basins are unique and will fit the décor very well.

Regards,
    Ted