Thread: Question on finishing QS red oak

Question on finishing QS red oak

I need some finishing advice. I am building a dresser for my daughter out of quarter sawn red oak and I would like to have a deep reflective finish on it but would also like to accentuate the grain. I took the inspiration from a magazine but have added some of my own ideas and dimensions. In the article they have made the base, top, and drawer knobs darker than the rest of the piece - this is something I may try as well so I also need some dye advice - never tried it. I hope to have this be of heirloom quality for my daughter. I am running out of time and do not spray so I need something quick, effective, long lasting/durable, and hopefully easy. I don't ask much do I?? Any suggestions???

Oh, and yes Tyler - I was thinking of you and took some pictures of the construction but I have never posted pics before. Can you help me out with some instructions??

Mike,

One of the things I've learned is that putting several coats of tung oil or BLO on figured wood helps make the figure pop out. So would recommend starting with that. BTW, I like to dilute my BLO 2 or 3 parts mineral spirits to 1 part BLO, it helps the penetration and drying process. After the oil has dried I would recommend either lacquer or shellac. Lacquer is clearer, shellac is easier to work with. Use a blond, dewaxed variety of shellac. You can rub either finish to a gloss you desire.

Regarding dying the wood. I've tried both the water and alcohol based dyes. I prefer the water based variety. I found it much easier to use and more forgiving.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jim Stastny; 11-21-2004 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Add more information
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools