Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tools needed have about $1500-$2000

New Tools needed have about $1500-$2000

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a planer, jointer, bandsaw and possibly a drill press.

With that budget what would you guys recommend? I have been think about the
    G0452 6" Jointer - 470 shipped
    G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw - 500 Shipped
    Dewalt 735 - Lowes has this for 600, but have been moving the price around lately. I have seen it as low as I believe 535.

I was hoping the HD in my area would have the clearance on the BS, Jointers and DP that the other parts of the country have had, but no such luck. I have been checking craigslist almost daily, but not much comes up.

I gave a range for the price because I know if I send 1500, i would get responses saying if you just spent xxxx you could get more. So 2k is pretty firm. I am hoping to get some nice pieces that would last me for a long time.

Thanks for the help. I am open to ideas on where the money should go.

Where geographically are you located? People may be able to guide you to deals if they know where you are.

3. Search craigslist. Your money will go a lot farther if you know your stuff.

The only comment I have is to save some money by getting the Ridgid planer over the Dewalt. The Ridgid gets excellent reviews and $5-600 for a lunchbox planer is crazy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The only comment I have is to save some money by getting the Ridgid planer over the Dewalt. The Ridgid gets excellent reviews and $5-600 for a lunchbox planer is crazy IMHO.
    Meh. I have the ridgid, but the dewalt with its ability to take an shelix head is pretty attractive. The ridgid is nice, don't get me wrong, but there is no upgrade path with the machine.

Steel City planer comes with a Helical head for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Steel City planer comes with a Helical head for $600.
    That planer is identical to the ridgid! Wonder what the cost would be for just the cutterhead (or if they will even sell it separately).

I am in east amherst, ny. Right outside Buffalo Ny.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rash View Post
    I am in east amherst, ny. Right outside Buffalo Ny.
    +1 for being patient and scouring CL...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Terrill View Post
    That planer is identical to the ridgid! Wonder what the cost would be for just the cutterhead (or if they will even sell it separately).

Do you think it is an improvement over the ridgid, cutterhead aside?

I am thinking about ditching my ridgid and upgrading to either this or DW735.

I have the Ridgid jointer and drill press. For the money you really can't go wrong with either. Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rash View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for a planer, jointer, bandsaw and possibly a drill press. With that budget what would you guys recommend? I have been think about the G0452 6" Jointer - 470 shipped G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw - 500 Shipped Dewalt 735 - Lowes has this for 600, but have been moving the price around lately. I have seen it as low as I believe 535. I was hoping the HD in my area would have the clearance on the BS, Jointers and DP that the other parts of the country have had, but no such luck. I have been checking craigslist almost daily, but not much comes up. I gave a range for the price because I know if I send 1500, i would get responses saying if you just spent xxxx you could get more. So 2k is pretty firm. I am hoping to get some nice pieces that would last me for a long time. Thanks for the help. I am open to ideas on where the money should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Do you think it is an improvement over the ridgid, cutterhead aside?

I am thinking about ditching my ridgid and upgrading to either this or DW735.
    Looking at the pictures, it's the exact same machine. Same knobs, same switches, same locations for everything. The only difference is the color and the cutterhead. So I don't see how it is an improvement or not, since there is nothing that was changed other than the cutterhead.

Seriously check CraigsList & Ebay. A lot of surplus tools are being sold cheap due to companies closing. I got an 8" jointer for 250.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Are you willing to clean up some used tools? If so, you can save a boat load of money.

You may have to keep your eye on the list but nice used machines are on the list all the time but you need to clean them up.

I am definitely not opposed to buying used. I have just not had any luck finding much on Craigslist.