Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know what a drop cord is?

Do you know what a drop cord is?

I'm working in Richmond VA this week, setting up a booth at the logging/forestry trade show (an interesting show to attend) and needed to buy an electrical cord. Went to the local Home Depot and asked where the drop cords were and just got blank looks. So I asked for extension cords and they said aisle 13.

We have had similar experiences as we travel to different shows in various parts of the country, and even in our office with trans-planted co-workers.

I grew up in NC and called them drop cords. If you google drop cord you get sites for extension cords, I'm sure that's the correct name.

I'm just wondering if drop cord is a term we tar heels use or if some of ya'll do too?

Perry

To me a drop cord is one of those self re-winding things that roll up into an enclosure. Mount them on the ceiling and pull them down (thus "drop cord"). Give them a pull and they re-wind.
    But I live in Arkansas and we know little of the real world.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

To me here a drop cord has always been an extension cord with a light on the end and plug. Sometimes they roll up in an enclosure and others are loose.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    Perry,

Maybe it's a Southern thing...... I call them drop cords also.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    To me here a drop cord has always been an extension cord with a light on the end and plug. Sometimes they roll up in an enclosure and others are loose.

Joe
    +1 on that, drop cords have a light and plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    + another on a drop cord having a light attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    Always heard those things call "Drop Lights" Not sure why, mine always just had an regular extension cord on them. I do know you can get them that pull out of a re-winding enclosure but WTH. Fascinating subject
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

we call them drop cords with no lights...and drop lights with lights....its the practicality of being a Vermonter.

I've never heard the term "drop cord". I have heard "drop light". I lived in Southern Virginia for 17 years. "Drop cord" might be a small, regional thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    + another on a drop cord having a light attached.
    +1 on the light

11. Drop cord

I have called drop lights both drop cords and drop lights. I always wonder why they call them drop lights though because if you drop them they don't light anymore.

I have always heard an extension cord called a drop cord with no light. I had never heard of a drop light.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Drop cord had lights. Haven't heard the term in years. Never heard of drop lights. Michigan-California-Michigan.
    David B

I've always called a cord with a light and a plug a "Trouble Light" ('cause most of the time all they gave you was trouble )

Drop cord aka Extension cord....
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

We call them extension cords or power cords. Drop cords sounds like something you'd use for sky diving...