Thread: What design programs are you using?

What design programs are you using?

Hello, So what programs are you guys using to design your cnc projects. Now I'm not talking about Cam programs, I'm talking about before the Cam program. I know about Autocad but that program is way to difficult. What programs are out there that create STL format files. I want to design 3D relief carvings and curved moulding?
    Thanks Tom Sharum

I currently own and use shopbot Partworks which is a re-branded version of Vectric's V-Carve Pro and Cut 3D. I am also currently running the trial versions of Aspire and Rhinoceros and plan to purchase both in a few days.

I would recommend downloading the trial version of Aspire.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Tom I would download the trial of aspire if I were you. The ease of tis program is great. I have used alot of software in my time and I like all of vectrics titles. From the program it's self to the people behind it it is top notch. The demo is the full deal it just will not save the code to run a cnc. But with the 3d view you can see what the machine will make without loading a tool up. Good luck.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

4. Before cam I use a program called Lightwave 3D as my primary software for close to 20 years. It's known for it's animation work " academy award under it's belt " but it's solid surface models have been used in STL work almost as long. As a side note, remember as good as Aspire is, Aspire is a 2.5 program and not 3D so you need to think about that 2.

Whatever you use check and make sure its a solid modeler* as the finished results allow for max tessellation needed for Cad cam smoothing/STL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull...vision_surface
    Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 05-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sharum View Post
    Hello, So what programs are you guys using to design your cnc projects. Now I'm not talking about Cam programs, I'm talking about before the Cam program. I know about Autocad but that program is way to difficult. What programs are out there that create STL format files. I want to design 3D relief carvings and curved moulding?
    Thanks Tom Sharum
    tom by your post i see you want to do 3d relief and curved mouldings, i have done both with excellent results with Aspire

jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sharum View Post
    Thanks Tom Sharum
    Tom,
    I would try Aspire, Rhino (but you will need a CAM), and Artcam Express. I have both Artcampro 2010 and Aspire 2.5. AC is more $$$ but can do a lot more but Aspire can do a few things that AC can not do. Each program has it's strengths and weakness. It will depend on what you want to accomplish and what your budget is. I would like to get Rhino also (may get 4 just to be able to beta Rhino 5) some day because it can model some things easier than both AC and Aspire. But remember there is no panacea software and there are several ways to accomplish the same thing in each software. Some faster than others. If you are doing this as a hobby then design speed and faster CAM strategies may not be a major factor. One thing you can not get a way from is that you will have to invest TIME in to each one. Get the trial versions, watch the training videos and look on Youtube. Most of us have invested 100's if not 1,000's of hours in our arsenal of software. What works for one of us may not be as easy for someone else. Talk to the resellers of each software and have them do the same exact file from start to finish and see how easily understood it is.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

There are plenty of inexpensive 3D modeling programs out there, but unless you have a pretty good 3D background, the learning curve will be very steep. Due to that fact, I'll have to also say Aspire. It's far and away the easiest way to do 3D relief carvings.

It all comes down to how well you know the software. I personally love AutoCAD, and can easily do things with it that most people wouldn't think are possible. But I spend at least 50 hours a week working with it, sometimes double that.

Blender is free/open source and probably worth taking a look at since it doesn't cost anything. Aspire will import STL so you can work with files from other 3D modeling programs as well.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Thanks for all the advise

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think I will demo a few different programs to see what is best for me.
    Thanks Tom S.