Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mistake I will not make again

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Alan:

The cabinet already has a sloping floor along each side feeding the original 4" port in the center of the back. I placed the new 6" port above the slope on one side both to avoid cutting into the slope and to get the new port closer to the blade.

There is so little room to install anything in there that I am not sure if I can do much more. The 5HP motor consumes almost all the interior space when the blade is tilted to the max 45 degrees. The only option I see would be something attached to, and moving with, the center trunnion.

I do not mind occasionally vacuuming out visible chips that don't get collected (so far the collection is very good, but not perfect), it is the dangerous to the lungs, fine particles I am trying to capture. My pulmonologist ordered me to buy a better dust collection system or find a new hobby, that was the motivation for dumping my old PM 73 and replacing it with an Oneida Cyclone. I am trying to follow Bill P's guidelines for the European Medical recommendations opting for overkill when in doubt.

One other thought, the TS seems pretty good right now, but it is only the 2nd machine I have retrofitted. I think I should upgrade the others to more than their single 4" port before refining the TS any more. Could be wrong here, but the planer and bandsaw both spew out the dust pretty badly.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post

One other thought, the TS seems pretty good right now, but it is only the 2nd machine I have retrofitted. I think I should upgrade the others to more than their single 4" port before refining the TS any more. Could be wrong here, but the planer and bandsaw both spew out the dust pretty badly.

James
    I would have put the outlet so the sloped floor feeds it. It is easier to enlarge the 4" port than making a completely new 6" one. Remember the suction in the cabinet draws the dust already in the cabinet, it does almost nothing to prevent the blade tips and gullets from carrying dust out the top of the saw. To catch that you need an over-blade shroud. So what I am saying, is since the cabinet is under suction, the dust in the cabinet stays there until it is sucked up by the port or settles on the cabinet floor, so there is really no need to have the port close to the blade. On the other hand, there is really no reason to get in the cabinet and clean the stuff not sucked up either, at least not until the pile gets so high it reaches the motor and belts- that could take years.

I would upgrade all your ports to 6" . Those machines also generate dangerous dust. Remember, what you see is the generally safe stuff, the dangerous stuff is pretty much invisible until it accumulates. And if you dig into Bill's site you will see it takes VERY little of it to exceed max recommended concentrations.