Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home business and home-owners

Home business and home-owners

I have just moved into my grandmothers to help care for her and have converted the 2 car garage into my shop.

I am in the progress of starting a LLC for my woodworking business (i build sub boxes) My issue is that her home owners insurance do not allow home business's.

I know if my equipment was lost in a fire it would not be covered do to being used for business purposes, But my dilemma i am having is, Do i need business insurance for the nature of my business? Or is the Limited liability of the LLC enough. The only thing i can see happening is a box injuring someone in a auto accident. Which would not happen if properly secured.

I am just trying to avoid causing any issues for my grandmother.

Here are a few pics of my work,

Last edited by Robert gree; 05-18-2010 at 5:52 PM.

Robert, Those are some nice boxes. I use to work in the car audio industry too back in the days. The answer to your question is YES get insurance. Im no expert but since you are manufacturing these boxes you will want to look at Product Liability Insurance cause no matter what, somebody will play the stereo too loud and loose some if not all their hearing and they will blame your product. I remember guys putting 6x9 boxes on the rear deck and when they hit the brakes really hard, those boxes came flying at you with great force. The first person they sued was the stereo shop that sold it to them. Also the other thing is you still can be sued even if you set up a LLC. It doesnt take much to sue somebody even though you have a LLC set up. You still have to pay the lawyer to defend your case if you do get sued even if you know you didn't do anything wrong. There are a lot of doctors that practice under an LLC and they still carry malpractice insurance.

The following story is fiction but in this country you have to watch your back..

Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City. In November 2000, Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winniebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

You will need the insurance when the neighbors storm your garage looking for the source of the sound rattling their windows

Be very nice to the neighbors or they will report you for running a business at that address. Then you will need to find a legal location for your shop.

Ellen is right. If you're running your noisy machines 40 hours a week (or more!), it'll wear on your neighbors. Any of them can call the code-enforcement folks, who will then threaten to fine you if you don't stop it. If you have a noisy business, it doesn't belong in a residential neighborhood.

Blog Entries
    You might want to reconsider. If the insurance doesn't allow an activity and you are doing that activity anyway and there is a claim, they could deny your claim since you violated the terms of the contract.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Robert,

Not only do you need insurance, but also the advice of an attorney. My background is financial, not legal. But contrary to conventional wisdom, an LLC does not provide the same protection as a C-Corp against "piercing the corporate veil". In other words, an LLC still puts your assets at risk and you need to know under what circumstances that will occur. Also, operating out of your grandmother's house will, in this litigious society, put her assets at risk for letting you run a business from her home.

Paul

Ain't it great that we have such intense laws to protect us from our pursuit of enterprise? Mutter, mutter, foul language, sputter under ones breath.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

My $0.02 worth...

After a few warnings, the HOA would likely file legal action against the homeowner (your grandmother) for breach of contract for running the business out of her home, which seems a bit contradictory to your original requirement of not wanting to cause any issues for the grandmother.

Also, I have some doubts that you will be able to get a commercial policy from a decent company written on an address with that clause in the deed. Particularly if your grandmother is (likely) already carrying a personal policy on that address. But you might be able to find some insurance agent somewhere that will do it.

Brian

You didn't mention if the property zoned for a home business? That might be a problem. Or, of there are any other restrictions barring operation of a business in the home, garage, or on residential property.

Is the property part of a home owner's association? Something that will need to be determined. If the property is part of of an association, what restrictions are in place?

Might look into fire and liability insurance. Not only to protect your tools but the residence itself form a fire that might/could start in the shop, which being a home based business is not covered by your grandmother's home owner's policy.

Then as one poster mentioned, you may have the issue of dealing with the neighbors over noise, zoning issues, etc.

What if you only make them there and sell them from another location? Think sound insulation. Then double it.

What kind of volume are you talking about here? If this is 2-5 boxes a month using a tablesaw and router you probably wont have to worry about any of this.

If you're talking 250 boxes a month with 7 employees on staff and 3 shifts you are going to have a problem.

I have a feeling you're in the middle.

Also, what kind of house is it? A townhouse will complicate things a lot more than a single family home on 1/3 acre.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've done lot's of research on insurance.
    You could look at this 2 ways.

1- If you do very little business you could try to keep your shop quiet and neighbor friendly. The LLC is much better than no asset protection. If you don't have much money or own a home you are less likely to be sued. All they can go after is your future income.
    Do your own research on how separate you are from the LLC business. If there is a suit can you be named personally or can the LLC only be held responsible?

2- To sleep well at night, I would get commercial liability. It's expensive. The last quotes I got were about 10% of the gross. So if you take in(not profits,but gross) $100K a year you pay $10K liability insurance. That's with no employees.
    If you can get a commercial policy with your shop in a residential garage they WILL cover a loss unless the policy states you must be in a commercial space.
    However if you do have a big loss even if you are in a commercial space you will most likely be cancelled. This makes it near impossible to get liability again for years.

So I hate that this is the case for a small start up but the numbers look bad these days.
    Say you have 100K gross
    - 10K insurance
    - 10 or 20K commercial rent and utilities
    - 30k 1/3 of gross is average cost of materials
    ________
    $50 to $40 is what your taxed on in this case
    - $15 or so federal income tax
    - $ 4 state income tax ( 9% for my state)

However, Robert I must say going legit and not "under the table" has it's advantages. I was faced with this choice in 1974 when I started in the wood business. I wanted to work " under the table" but I chose to claim all my income and have commercial liability. I worked hard and was able to buy the building I was renting commercial shop space in. I did this for tax deductions and for years I was a landlord and woodworker.
    I retired young and sold the shop and building mostly because of high commercial liability costs! I'd still be in the shop working 10 hour days if I could have slept OK working "under the table".

Ok to add alittle more info,

I am the only employee.

Average around 5-9 boxes a month

Do not live in a HOA (I will move before i ever live in a HOA)

Noise is not a issue (with dust collector saw and router cutting can barely be heard outside and once i insulate the garage door it wont be a problem.

This is not a full time thing for me this is mainly a hobby that turned into more, i work full time for lockheed martin.

If any other info is needed feel free to ask and i will provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    I have just moved into my grandmothers to help care for her and have converted the 2 car garage into my shop.

I am in the progress of starting a LLC for my woodworking business (i build sub boxes) My issue is that her home-owners do not allow home business's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    Ok to add alittle more info,
    Do not live in a HOA (I will move before i ever live in a HOA)
    Robert,
    Something here doesn't make sense.
    You first tell us that you moved into your grandmother's house.
    Then you say that "her home-owners do not allow home business's."

Then in a follow-up you say that you do NOT live in a HOA.

Along with everyone else, I concluded that you meant her "HOA" didn't allow home-based businesses. But then you say you don't live in an HOA. Hence the confusion.

So when you said "Her home-owners" did you actually mean to say that her homeowners insurance doesn't allow for a home based business? Or is there something else entirely going on here?
    "It's Not About You."