Thread: Cabinet or Hybrid TS v Jobsite: Space Issues Etc

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cabinet or Hybrid TS v Jobsite: Space Issues Etc

This may seem like kind of an odd (ie, dumb) question, but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

I've already bored some of you with my space limitation (16 by 10) and the small shop I'm setting up in the space. I have been planning to upgrade my Delta Shopmaster TS to something like the Bosch jobsite saw. The idea is to get as much saw as I can out of a small space, and have something I can roll around as needed. I'll mostly be making small things like boxes, small tables, odds and ends. Maybe a chair here and there. But working with hardwoods, mostly 4/4 or maybe 6/4, the rare 8/4 piece. Total amateur weekend shop, place to teach my kids etc. Dust collection is an important factor, as is safety features (although truth be told I'll probably remove the blade guard, but I want to have the option).

Lately I've been wondering if I should just go for a cabinet saw and leave off the extension wings, and get a good mobile base. I always wanted a Unisaw or a 64. I can't really deal with anything much wider than 30 to maybe 36 inches. But it seems like a Unisaw base is probably at least as small as a jobsite stand or base, and without the extensions and Unisaw is pretty small, no?

All the cabinet saws I see for sale have huge wings on them and long fence systems. There must be a way to get one that's compact?

I also see something I never heard of called a "hybrid", although I don't see much about them (I understand they're a closed base style saw but with lesser power and maybe different trunion designs?).

Any thoughts on why one might go with a cabinet saw without the extensions as opposed to something more like a jobsite saw?

Thanks!

Mark

Edit: I don't expect to be dealing with sheet goods much in the shop. To the extent I use them, I'll rip them in the driveway using the Shopmaster or something (it works ok with a little effort).
    Last edited by John Mark Lane; 05-18-2010 at 10:27 PM.