Thread: Large Factory finishing question

Question Large Factory finishing question

I was wondering what the large factorys use to make that perfect finish you always see, say on a Kraftmaid kitchen. Theres hardly any blotching and its very consistent on a stained product.
    I was told once that spray an acetone type product with color in it and in order for the acetone to harden thye bake it.

They use some high-tech processes (high-end conversion varnishes etc.) that we cannot do in our humble home shops.

Yes there is color in the clear finish to even it out. Last coat(s) has no color.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Toners and guys with many many hours of spraying experience.

Ever watch a good auto body guy paint a car? A thing of beauty.

You can get very good results yourself with a mid range spray gun and some practice and decent finish.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    I was wondering what the large factorys use to make that perfect finish you always see, say on a Kraftmaid kitchen. Theres hardly any blotching and its very consistent on a stained product.
    I was told once that spray an acetone type product with color in it and in order for the acetone to harden thye bake it.

If you can possibly make it, attend the IWF show in August .. .. you will be AMAZED at the equipment & processes available for the right $$$$$. Nearly everything is automated & computerized in the factories these days. There is no such thing as craftsmanship there .. only perfection.

Thanks, I heard out here at Canyon Creek cabinets ( big company) . Doors and such hang from conveyors, machines ( not people) spray it. Then it works its way into an oven to harden it.