Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova G3-D Turning Chuck

Nova G3-D Turning Chuck

Nova G3-D Turning Chuck - Tool Nut has this chcuk on sale for $79.99 including shipping. I gave the SuperNova2 and really like it. How does the G3-D compare other than being smaller? Are the jaws interchangeable?

Thanks -

Greg, all of the jaws are interchangable, except for the power grip jaws.
    And $79.99 is a killer deal, IMHO.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

That's the best price I've seen on a Nova G3 - ever! If I needed another chuck, I'd jump on this deal. I don't need any more 'cause I have 3 SN2s and 5 G3s now. BTW, the adjustment range of the G3 is the same as the SN2.

I am not sure but I think the G3D is the direct threaded model that is 1x8 thread with a grub screw. It was made specifically for the new Delta Midi lathe. Either way it is a great deal but it is not an insert type of chuck.

Alan

Alan I think the chuck you're thinking about is the least expensive one that works with two levers for tightening. I was actually wondering if the TOOL NUT price includes the thread adapter. BTW good name.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan Trout is correct as it was made for Black & Decker (Owner of Delta Products) to go with the 46-460 with a locking screw as the 46-460 has reversing. Alan Tolchinsky is thinking of the Precision Midi that usually goes on sale for $79 that has Tommy Bars. Both are 1" X 8 and do not use inserts. I have several G3's and several Precision Midi's but at $79 I may just have to get another as that price for the G3d is superb and I would use it on my 46-460.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Blasic; 05-20-2010 at 6:20 AM.

I was under the impression that the only difference between a G3-D and a G3 is the threading for grub screws (so you can use the chuck with the lathe in reverse). I believe the G3-D ships with a 1"x8tpi insert.

According to Teknatool, the G3 chucks use the same threaded inserts at the rest of the Nova line.

Give Sean a call at ToolNut, he should be able to tell you the exact configuration of his sale item, and what options are available.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Alan,

I just checked and Bill and I are both right. It is a direct threaded body for 1x8 and does not use any insert. It does have a grub screw in the chuck so it can be turned in reverse. This is a great chuck for a mini/midi with a 1x8 thread and that is a great deal at Tool Nut. I would love to have one for my Comet but work just slowed down a bit so I will hold off.

Alan

Thanks for checking!
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

uhmmm i am confused here i guess... i have a g3 got it at woodcraft and it was threaded but I also had to buy the proper insert for my lathe.. it just screwed in to the chuck tho... at the time I got lucky because they were running a special and i got the insert for free...

I am under the assumption that you guys are saying you cant get an insert for the g3?!?!
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Karl, There are two different G3 chucks. The standard chuck that is sold in the Nova box is an insert type chuck. It will work with any lathe as long as you buy the proper insert. The G3D has a direct threaded body with a 1X8 thread that does not require an insert and comes in a Delta box.

I hope this helps.

Alan

I am missing something

OK, maybe a lot. I can't seem to find anything with a search on their website. I am clearly not thinking the right way. Can anyone give me a pointer to find this deal? Thanks

Link

Link to thread in Deals and Discounts Forum

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140548

MK

An additional difference in the G3-D from the G3 is the jaws. Take a look at the difference in the pictures of the jaws. The G3-D has three serrations/ridges in the bottom of the jaws. Sorta like PowerGrip jaws. I do not remember the specs but I believe the G3-D has a much greater capacity in the spigot mode. I’m sure the specs are out there somewhere.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I searched on Toolnut, and can't find anything, Nova or G3, or Teknatool. I'd like to have one of them for my Little Vic.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.