Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building a deck with teak ok?

Yup one more vote to sell it or stash it as IMO it's far too valuable to use on a deck. However it's just my opinion and it's still a free country so if that's what your into...... Just remember to use some nice stainless steel railings to really top it off

As previously suggested 5/4 is more than adequate for the average deck though it is generally only about 1" finished dimension. I don't think most homeowners are too worried about 1000 lb bombs being dropped on their decks....or 1000lb anythings for that matter! And if they were, I think you would be hard pressed to provide any decking that would be sufficient short of maybe 16/4 thick Ipe
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Yup one more vote to sell it or stash it as IMO it's far too valuable to use on a deck. However it's just my opinion and it's still a free country so if that's what your into...... Just remember to use some nice stainless steel railings to really top it off

As previously suggested 5/4 is more than adequate for the average deck though it is generally only about 1" finished dimension. I don't think most homeowners are too worried about 1000 lb bombs being dropped on their decks....or 1000lb anythings for that matter! And if they were, I think you would be hard pressed to provide any decking that would be sufficient short of maybe 16/4 thick Ipe
    JeffD

LOL, yeah, this discussion has gotten rather silly.

One other point. I don't know what the current thinking is (I try to think as little as possible), but at one time, not that long ago (by old person standards), there was some notion about that using teak was, shall we say, politically incorrect. Now mind you, if I hear that something is politically incorrect, I'm moving as quickly as possible to do it, just to be obnoxious. But in all seriousness, there are some issues around harvesting some hardwoods in poor countries and exporting them to little or no benefit for the native citizens.... and depleting resources. All for something that could be done with another, more plentiful, less exploitively harvested (there's a mouthful) resource. Like in the case of boatbuilding, a lot of things that teak was used for can be done with much more common mahoganies or even synthetic materials. Some people moved toward boats with less wood for just this kind of reason.

OK, rant off. Now send me the teak so I can make furniture from it...

Personally, I would never have a wood deck again. Composite all the way. Why be hassled with maintenance when you can build it once and forget about it for 30 years, except maybe a little washing with a hose?

Dirk,
    If you make the deck, please send me the cut-offs!!!!

5. I wasnt joking about the weight... The talk about the bombs being dropped was just to give a relative weight of what I was refering to.... (ie: if you were to put your machines on it(I have read of people having their tools on their deck(and I am worried about rust..... ) I mean considering that a cabinet saw weighs atleast 600lbs, one of those 10-in-1 machines must weigh a bundle.....

Feel free to send any unusable pieces this way..........

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    I wasnt joking about the weight... The talk about the bombs being dropped was just to give a relative weight of what I was refering to.... (ie: if you were to put your machines on it(I have read of people having their tools on their deck(and I am worried about rust..... ) I mean considering that a cabinet saw weighs atleast 600lbs, one of those 10-in-1 machines must weigh a bundle.....

Physics. Look up energy. 600lbs at rest is different from 600lbs at terminal velocity. Seriously, two very different things.

I wasnt joking about the weight... The talk about the bombs being dropped was just to give a relative weight of what I was refering to.... (ie: if you were to put your machines on it(I have read of people having their tools on their deck(and I am worried about rust..... ) I mean considering that a cabinet saw weighs atleast 600lbs, one of those 10-in-1 machines must weigh a bundle.....

So the OP is putting his cabinet saw out by the barbecue grill....

This thread is really starting to smoke.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Terrill View Post
    Physics. Look up energy. 600lbs at rest is different from 600lbs at terminal velocity. Seriously, two very different things.
    600lbs at motion has a creater chance of shattering. 600lbs at rest will leads to bowing, followed by failure once the yield strength is met. Even up until it reaches its yield strength, it will be structurely weakened. Not to mention, the vibrations from a machine while in its weakened state, could infact cause failure, yet again. If you dont believe me, look up, I believe its the Washington bridge that collapsed in the 40s/50s...

I would appreciate it Mr. Terrill, if you would stop being condesending, thanks (by telling me to 'look up energy...' )

-Brendan

If you dont believe me, look up, I believe its the Washington bridge that collapsed in the 40s/50s...
    Wrong again. Aerodynamics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_...dge_%281940%29

and the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 05-21-2010 at 5:54 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

10. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Yea.... The aerodynamics caused the vibrations which caused the failure... so please... stop posting these "wrong again" remarks... its childish...

Yea.... The aerodynamics caused the vibrations which caused the failure... so please... stop posting these "wrong again" remarks... its childish...
    Actually, it wasn't "vibrations". It was exciting a natural frequency...a mode, if you prefer that. Vibration will lead to things such as fasteners loosening (generally, anything that depends on friction). On things that work harden, like aluminum, it will lead to work hardening well.

Regardless, Brendan raises a good point. It's foolhardy to drop a bomb on your deck. It's also probably not a good idea to setup your cabinet saw on a deck, especially if you're hoping to get a glue line rip. If you set one up anyway, be sure to protect the top. BBQ sauce is very acidic and contains salt, sure to corrode cast iron.

All I'm going to say is that's a heck of a saw that weighs 600lbs, my Uni's are probably about 200 lbs shy of that. But really it's fairly moot as the OP has never alluded to setting up a shop on his deck

As for composites they are not all they're cracked up to be. Personally I did one deck with them and that's all it took. Wood all the way for me, and there are several woods out there that will last 30 years and look a heck of a lot better (personal opinion) doing it
    What can I say...I'm a wood guy!
    JeffD

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    All I'm going to say is that's a heck of a saw that weighs 600lbs, my Uni's are probably about 200 lbs shy of that. But really it's fairly moot as the OP has never alluded to setting up a shop on his deck

As for composites they are not all they're cracked up to be. Personally I did one deck with them and that's all it took. Wood all the way for me, and there are several woods out there that will last 30 years and look a heck of a lot better (personal opinion) doing it
    JeffD
    We have a trex deck... I get more splinters off it then the wood I use in the shop.... they are supposed to be splinter proof.... I personally hate the gray colour it turns... not to mention it gets very dry/coarse, so its not something thats really comfortable to walk on barefoot...
    Last edited by Brendan Plavis; 05-21-2010 at 9:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

JeffD
    Curiously, what didn't you like about composites and what composites did you use? Obviously not all composites are made the same and they do require a little different care in installation.

Rob

I'm interested about the composite problems too. I'm thinking of redoing the layout of my deck and going composite the whole way. I'm so sick of power washing and refinishing every few years.