Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a scam?

Blog Entries

Question Is this a scam?

I have something for sale on Craigslist for $175. I got a response saying he'll pay me $40 over my asking price with a money order, I should send him my name ,address & phone number & after the money order clears he'll arrange to pick it up.He's away on a business trip so he can't come to look at the item. Sounds fishy to me, I don't plan to respond, anyone else ever get something like this?
    Dennis

I would not deal with the person. The deal fits the scam pattern to a tee. I can smell the fish all the way from New Jersey to Mid Michigan.
    David B

It's a scam. Why would anyone offer you more than you're asking for anything, unless there was a bidding war on.

Common sense rules here. It's a scam.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

This is a *classic* scam. Money order will be credited, but the MO is a fake. Once goods are picked up, the issuing bank will eventually declare the MO a fake, and the credit to your account will be reversed. You will have lost the goods.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3390857_spot...der-scams.html
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 05-20-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added link.

Scam.

the next step is too inform you that he will be remitting the payment in the form of a larger Money Order from a friend and ask you to deposit the Money Order in your bank. He will offer to pay you fee for processing the Money order for him and have you give the remaning balance, minus the agreed upon price of the item, to the friend in cash along with the merchandise.At this point, if you go for it, the Money order will not claer, he has the item and the balance in cash from your account that you gave to the friend.

Scam!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Get him to send you the MO and then hand it over to the police when it arrives. Maybe it will help them get to the root cause of it and keep others from being ripped off.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have something for sale on Craigslist for $175. I got a response saying he'll pay me $40 over my asking price with a money order, I should send him my name ,address & phone number & after the money order clears he'll arrange to pick it up.He's away on a business trip so he can't come to look at the item. Sounds fishy to me, I don't plan to respond, anyone else ever get something like this?
    Dennis
    Just reply with this information

Mr. S Service
    6601 Ventnor Avenue, Ventnor City, NJ - (609) 487-1300
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Sounds like a classic scam opportunity. Cash on the barrel face to face with locals is what works best for me.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine View Post
    Just reply with this information

Mr. S Service
    6601 Ventnor Avenue, Ventnor City, NJ - (609) 487-1300
    I'm partial to the J. Edgar Hoover building, but that would work too. The craigslist scams might actually work if they did a few things:

1) Use someone who speaks English
    2) Send one spam email per ad (got 6 identical emails within a minute of each other with the same exact content)
    3) Use a bogus email with an actual name, not random characters

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Dennis
    Talk to your local postal inspector. If he mails it to you, I believe that now counts as mail fraud. You think the Mossad are tough? You ain't seen anything until you've seen postal inspectors in the act. They'll have him, and 100 of his closest friends, crying, whimpering and pleading for mercy.

Blog Entries
    I'd call the local FBI office and get the name of any agent and send that name and address to the person who wants to pay extra.

I get emails every once in a while asking me to make multiple pieces of furniture that were supposedly seen on my web site. Usually there is nothing close to what they want on my site. Most of the time I simply delete them, but once in a while I will send a some what reasonable but high price per item back to them. I've yet to have any of them take me up on my offers..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Talk to your local postal inspector. If he mails it to you, I believe that now counts as mail fraud. You think the Mossad are tough? You ain't seen anything until you've seen postal inspectors in the act. They'll have him, and 100 of his closest friends, crying, whimpering and pleading for mercy.
    What are they going to do, delivery junk mail to them on a daily basis? Oh wait....they do that to us every day.........

Safe bet is if you have to ask it is.

Further I wouldn't let him in at all, even if he offered up cash. Meet somewhere else to complete the deal if he has cash.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

It's only legit if your great uncle was a wealthy african king who recently died and left you a fortune.

Considering this type of fraud happens all over the country every day, I think you guys have an overoptimistic view of law enforcement resources if you believe that referring the case to either the postal inspectors, the FBI, or local police will result in any investigation...

Of course, maybe that is because I lived in a city where I called 911 on two separate occasions and they didn't show up either time.