Thread: Question for John Keeton or anyone else?

Question for John Keeton or anyone else?

When you get your wood from Mike Smith, what method are you using to dry it? Everything I find on the Web Page states that it is green. Just curious. Does anyone know of a site where you can buy dry wood?

Thanks Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight McNutt View Post
    When you get your wood from Mike Smith, what method are you using to dry it? Everything I find on the Web Page states that it is green. Just curious. Does anyone know of a site where you can buy dry wood?

Thanks Dwight
    Dwight, Don't know what form of wood you are looking to buy, but some of the wood at West Penn Hardwoods is kiln dried; you have to check each product's description. I'm sure others sell dry wood, too.

Dwight, much of what I have purchased from Mike has been dry enough to finish turn. He has a wide variety of woods, and has had some of them stacked/stickered for a long time. In particular, the Claro I buy is pretty dry and I know that he just got a huge load in. He also had some old growth redwood, some chestnut, some Ambrosia sycamore, some red cedar/juniper and some Ambrosia maple - all of which was dry enough to finish turn. The Claro is really nice! Obviously, he has a better selection of wet wood. Mike is very knowledgable, and a nice fellow. You should just call him and see what he has.

In addition, I know fellow creeker Jeff Nicol has some dry wood as I just bought some from him, as well. Jeff is great to work with, as well.

The wet wood from Mike that I have bought is well waxed, and I have just stored it until I can rough turn it. Some of it is spalted, and I will need to get to it soon, as it will continue to deteriorate in the wax. Some of the rest, I will just leave it in the rough until the mood hits!

When I got wood from Mike, I also requested that he send me dry stuff, and he sent me a pretty good assortment, and what I've turned has definitely been dry. Jeff Nicol sent me a few pieces too, and they were quite dry. I thought both had extremely reasonable prices.

John and everyone else thanks for the fast replies. Will be making a few calls in the morning.

Thanks Dwight

Keep your eyes open on the bay. Run a search using the words Kiln or dry from time to time. 2" thick lumber makes good platters.