Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you move logs?

How do you move logs?

I want to be able to move logs from my driveway to my backyard. What's the best way to move them? I'm thinking the biggest log I'd encounter would be about 24" in diameter 8 feet long, and there is a slight downhill incline (but not enough space to roll them) to the back. I'm thinking a log arch might be the way to go. Not sure where to buy one of those though, any recommendations? Is it even realistic to handle those size logs without machinery?

I'm trying to get into milling my own boards, and am a total newbie to this. Any advice or where to look for tips about log handling would be helpful.

Do you live on acerage, have trees, plan on doing this (and things like it)again? Buy a tractor.

Do you live on a large lot and this is a one time or rare thing? Rent a tractor.

(Preferably a reasonably modern diesel with a loader....)

3. A log like the one you describe is going to weigh a lot -- probably more than 800 pounds. Even if you had a log arch, you'd still need some serious horsepower to drag it.

And once you got it to the back yard, you need a method of getting it onto the sawmill or sawbucks.

In my opinion, equipment would be very helpful. The alternative is to have three or four helpers with pickaroons and peavys. Using the peavys and some ramps, a small team could lift such logs.

We used these in high school, hooked to a pickup's towing hitch with chain. We weren't moving 24" trees though. All depends on the ground. A pickup over rocky terrain works fine, in the mud, no way.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7445_200307445

I'd rent a tractor to move them or hire someone with a tractor to do it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

How about digging a trench and making a sluice? Just fill it with water when you want to use it. It could double as a moat for your house.

Or, move the tools to the log.

Or go to an equipment auction and get a couple of sections of roller conveyor and use those to move the log.

If you only do it occasionally you could get a bunch of short lengths of pipe or large dowels and use them under the log as rollers. A come along anchored somewhere in the back yard could do the yanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post

Or go to an equipment auction and get a couple of sections of roller conveyor and use those to move the log.

If you only do it occasionally you could get a bunch of short lengths of pipe or large dowels and use them under the log as rollers. A come along anchored somewhere in the back yard could do the yanking.
    If you want to be really cheap, PVC pipe filled with concrete. That was what they used to roll a granite slab around our house, turning the pipes as needed to direct its movement. I wouldn't have the cajones to put a log on rollers if there is any incline at all though.

A log arch would be suitable for this type of task. You would want to be sure to tow it with something that had adequate braking capacity for the weight and incline, although smaller logs could be moved with a hand operated version. The nice thing about a log arch is that you can pick up the log at the balance point, and they are actually fairly easy to use.

Logrite Tools makes some of the best log arches, cant hooks, peavey's, etc available, and they would be my first suggestion. Do a web search on Logrite and you'll find them.

I would not recommend skidding the logs with the tongs, because you will embed dirt, rocks, and other particles into the bark, which will damage your saw chains, blades, etc. Although you can pressure wash the logs, this adds an extra step and it's not always easy to get all of the small rocks out.

Many timber-framers use a simple, shop built dolly for moving heavy beams around. Depending upon your budget (and volume of logs to move), it would not be that difficult to build one. You can always use an engine hoist (cherry picker) to pick up each end of the log to set it in the dolly.

The next step up from a log arch is usually some type of front end loader. This can be a skid steer loader, a farm tractor with a FEL on it, or a forklift. If the latter, you will want the off-road version so that it does not get stuck in your yard.

I use my John Deere 4500. But, I'll tell ya, my local mill flips what mine struggles with around with easy with a skid loader. Skid loaders take up less space than a tractor, and are really handy for snow removal, too. Of course, if you have any large areas that need mowing, the skid falls a little short in that department...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I've been using a Peavy for decades. It is old technology, and requires some effort, but it does work.

Moving Logs

Have you considered calling the local "Woodmizer" person? It might be a little easier to move around back. Good luck/Ed

Make an acquaintance with a local that has a skid steer loader. Then they coud be easily placed up on skids off the ground and ready for processing. He will no doubt have forks. Offer him ca$h, or some kind of trade. Contractors always need hardwood planks for trailer decks and whatnot, and they can sometimes be the lesser quality from your saw logs. You ask "What's the best way to move them?".... Well, the best way can be defined several ways..... Cheapest? Safest? Quickest? If this is a part time endeavor, then rent, borrow or trade. If it is going to be more frequent, purchase is an option. Sit down and figure out where you are going with this. It's called a plan. There is no substitute for the emotional attachment to sawing your own logs, or logs from your area. However, that feeling comes with a $price$..... and it isn't cheap.

I'd use one of these.
    toolcat.JPG

Haul the logs to your local sawyer. It will cost maybe 25 - 35 cents a bf to cut, and if he has a kiln, another very few cents/bf to dry. While there look at whats needed to get the job done. THere is a fair amount of money tied up in equipment.

Call woodmizer and all the other saw mill manufacturers and ask for phone numbers of local guys, they'll gladly do it to help support those who bought from them.

Last edited by Mike Harrison; 05-21-2010 at 8:30 AM.
    Mike Harrison

Jim, what do you plan to mill your logs with? Woodmizer type setup, chainsaw mill, etc? As has been said, it's a lot easier to mill them on the spot if you don't own the equipment to move the whole log around.

A neighbor of mine uses a chainsaw mill to mill lumber with, and does it all on the spot. If doing a limited amount of milling, and using a chainsaw mill, it really isn't too bad to do. He's been doing it as a hobby for years, and has taken down some very big trees. He mainly uses a peavey and come-along to twitch his logs around.
    Don