Thread: router table info

router table info

hey guys need some advice....
    I picked up a little table top router table (made by craftsman) garage sale buy..anyway it missing the fence so i need to make one for it and i see in the sears website that it is a 2 piece fence ...so here is the question:
    On the left side as u face the fence location there is a rectangular slot 3/4 wide 1 3/4 long at the front of the fence ..so does this mean that the left fence is stationary? doesnt make sense to my old brain..seems to me that both fences need to move but im not to experienced with router tables and the one's I have seen were solid fence's with openings for the bit and guard area....so what am i not understanding here...
    thanks
    Bob

I'm not familiar with that particular table. However, unlike a table saw, a router bit spins on an axis that precludes anything from being parallel to it. You can't draw a straight line parallel to a circle. So a pivoting fence is perfectly acceptable.

If you have ever seen the Router Workshop that used to be on TV (still available on the net), they used 2 'C' clamps to hold the fence on. As long as it was the right distance from the bit, they didn't care what direction the fence was mounted. Usually it ran on some angle, front to back.