Thread: Do I HAVE to use a dust collector with a Woodmaster?

Do I HAVE to use a dust collector with a Woodmaster?

I'm going to be planing 4,000 BF of soft maple on a Woodmaster that should arrive any day now. I'm wondering if I can simply roll the woodmaster outside my shop, and blow the chips into a pile out there. Does anyone know if it's a requirement that it have a dust collector sucking from it? I'll be mounting it on a very heavy duty rollable base.

Read the manual....I know with the Jet planer I have I have to use the chip collector or it just clogs up the dust chute.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I tried it once with my PM and ended up with a lot of dented wood from the chips being pressed into the board by the feed rollers.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

4. Have at it I've run thousands of feet of oak and other types of lumber through mine without any problems.

the shavings will clog the rollers against their bearings/mounts.

it'll work for about 20 minutes .

that said, you could just use a compressor and constantly blow the chips out, that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    the shavings will clog the rollers against their bearings/mounts.

it'll work for about 20 minutes .

that said, you could just use a compressor and constantly blow the chips out, that would work.

I am pretty sure I have heard this exact same thing about the Woodmaster in several posts in the past.

I would recommend a dust collector, it will be messy under the rollers and affect the appearance of the wood. I did this with with my gee tech 15" planer and the oak would have dents in the wood.

Regards!
    Ed

Yep you will want a dust collector due to the dents in the wood. It will save you hours of sanding later. If you dont want to invest much into one Harbour freight has a $200 Dust collector that most people regard as adequate for one machine. Just remember to empty the bag it'll fill up fast with all that wood. You'll probably generate a truck bed or two full of chips with that much wood.