Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried Something Different

Lightbulb Tried Something Different

Was out of real marble and needed a gift for a baptism this Sunday. I came up with this. Finely sanded 1/8 birch ply/Spray painted white/Lasered.
    I only had semi-gloss white. next time I would suggest a flat white.
    I'm still considering brushing black powder paint into the raw wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 05-21-2010 at 6:49 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

looks nice good job
    FRED SANCHEZ
    Universal VLS3.60 , Roland GX24 , CorelDraw X3 , Windows XP

That looks nice good job. I think you are right on the paint being flat but the gloss looks good also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

Thanks for posting this, Tim. It's nice to see something other than black marble. For me black marble says "memorial" and I just can't use it for anything revolving around a wedding or a birth. I like this idea.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Nice result Tim, looks quite unique, good job!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Talking Final Product

OK, here is the final product. I did decide to use powder paint & I'm glad I did. The final product looks more like a B&W photo than it does a wood engraving.
    For a cleaner finish, I need to find a way to seal the white paint prior to engraving and the powder paint.
    I took the picture without glass to avoid the glare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

This is a really nice piece, Tim. No question that they will love it. But with the end result looking "more like a B&W photo than it does a wood engraving", what is the point? Personally, I liked the wood grain showing. To me, the unique laser engraved look is what appeals over plain photographs.

I could see it if it was going to be outdoors, but under glass indoors, it will be ignored as an engraving.

That's just my opinion, and does not detract from the good job you did on it. I thank you for sharing the technique - that is useful info we can use sometime! Gives me ideas for future playtime.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I agree Dee. However in this case I had to do with materials I had on hand. Much like an artist - for this piece I had a picture of it in my mind with a lot of brilliant white.
    I do agree it's not the best use of wood substrate, but a different one. I originally wanted a wood burn look in the darker area. This would have left a lot of wood exposed as in my first photos. The problem was in achieving that result, I also lost details. I'm wondering if a white stain or white-wash would work better for this application?
    Either way, I love the near photo quality I achieved on wood using only white spray paint, a laser, and black powder paint.
    None of the pictures I took showed the details that I can see with my eyes. Such as wrinkles in the clothing, fine details of her diamond wedding band, the shading streaks in her hair or the minute creases of the baby's knuckles.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 05-22-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Is this done using Photograv? Can the same be accomplished with Corel or Photoshop?
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

Quote Originally Posted by James Terry View Post
    Is this done using Photograv? Can the same be accomplished with Corel or Photoshop?
    I no longer use PhotoGrav. I use a really old version of Photoshop (CS) to edit and size the photo & Corel to laser it. Rather than using PhotoGrav, I've found Epilog's Dithering functions quicker & quality just as good.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Might I ask which of the Epilog dithering you used? Any what adjustments to power/speed when you use the dither? I just tried the dithering for the first time and and the 'brighten' one worked great! The others didn't do very well but I haven't tried making power/speed adjustments to them yet. Over the years I've had pretty good luck with photos using just Photoshop and the previous laser (LMI 100w) I ran. Now that I have my own (helix 45w) I have had terrible luck with photos. Maybe I just lost my touch.

BTW -- great job on the piece you just did. May have to try the white paint idea.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Jeff, I do use the various dithering features, depends on the substrate and photo/graphic. For this piece the photo was sized & set at 300dpi, I used the Epilog brighten mode, 200dpi/63sp/100pw 1/16" out of focus.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    OK, here is the final product. I did decide to use powder paint & I'm glad I did. The final product looks more like a B&W photo than it does a wood engraving.
    For a cleaner finish, I need to find a way to seal the white paint prior to engraving and the powder paint.
    I took the picture without glass to avoid the glare.
    Hey Tim,
    Looking good! Is that the 3mm I sent you? Yet another use for it. I think that the frame is important when using the 3mm ply.

Where do you get the black powder paint? How would laser toner work?

Thanks for sharing and ...
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Mike, Yes, this is some of that birch ply.
    I use the Powder Paint from Harbor Freight - $4.95 for a quart size container which is more paint than I will likely ever use. It comes in Black, Yellow, White, & Red. I still need to find a supplier for Blue.
    I've heard of people here using toner, with mixed results - some good, some bad.
    My Powder Paint technique is:
    1. Seal the wood (makes clean-up easier)
    2. Laser
    3. Apply Powder Paint with an artist paint brush
    4. Take a straight-edge over the area several times to force it into the lasered area and level it off.
    5. Laser again at low power: 100sp/11pw (too high of power will evaporate the paint).
    5.5 If it's a big area or deep repeat steps 3-5
    6. Vacuum with a shop-vac
    7. Gently clean the non-Powder Paint areas.
    8. Apply sealer/top coat/polyurethane/shellac - what-ever your finish sealer of choice.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

After you laser the powder paint. How secure is it. Can i use the air hose to blow off? I just have tried 2 different times does not really seem to stick to the engraved area. I am using it on oak.

Does anyone have an up close picture on what their powder coat fill looks like
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota