Thread: Stanley #40 scrub

Stanley #40 scrub

I recently purchased this plane from ebay and the previous owner squared the blade up and used it as a chisel, the end of the blade is mushroomed. How can I get the blade back in usable shape. How can I grind a new edge or should I invest in a new blade? Thanks

Edge geometry on that iron isn't critical. Just swing the back, side-to-side, on a grinder to re-establish the radius. If there is plenty of iron left, the mushroomed end shouldn't be in the way. If it bothers you, grind that down.

The iron from Lie-Nielsen should fit. If I had to guess, I'd say that the one from Lee Valley will too. Easy enough to check on.

Thanks Jeff

I recently reshaped a standard plane blade in a jack plane to a 6" radius with a file. Reshaped the bevel with a same file in about five minutes (I was surprised too). I then stoned to the blade to 4000 grit (stoned - moving the stone across the blade clamped in a vice). I think that based on that experience you could reshape the blade pretty quickly using either a grinder or files. I was very surprised how quick the reshaping was using a smooth mill file.

Tim
    Tim Lawson
    Port Townsend School of Woodworking

Tim what degree should I grind at and do you add a micro bevel to these blades?

Try this link:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...e%20Blade.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek thanks for the link and I spent some time there and you have put together a very informative site. Thanks