Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price Quote Help

Blog Entries
    Ah, Chuck, I just noticed you're running an older system... they may not have the same functionality as the VLS, PLS, and ILS systems.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    No need to do a test run with the door open... the ULS drivers give a pretty darn accurate estimation of run time with the click of a mouse (though you may have to wait a couple of minutes for it to run the simulation).
    Right now I when a get an RFQ I put the artwork together, fill a sheet with the design, and then with the hood open I run the job and note the time it takes. Then I add in marked-up materials cost and then overhead. I do this even if the customer is requesting 20 pieces and the sheet holds 100. I sure waste a lot of time doing it this way since sometimes it can take an hour.

Does anyone have a simulator for Epilog or some other costing technique that takes less time? Or am I just crazy doing it this way?

Ed
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Liesl, when I take orders such as these my price per sq. inch drops according to the size of the area. I charge my customers a price for the engraving sheet stock and a price on the engraving. If you want more info PM me.
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Patterson View Post
    How do you do run a estimated run time with the ULS driver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    In the design view tab, there are 5 buttons on the right-hand middle side of the screen... one should be labeled "Estimate" or something of that nature. It takes some percentage of actual time to run, like 5% of actual... waiting 30 seconds for it to estimate a 10 minute run is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Patterson View Post
    I must not have it. Can not find it.
    Chuck, the M-series ULS machines don't have that feature. You can run it with the door or top open so it isn't firing but it will give you your run time.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Are they supplying artwork that can be directly import into Corel?

How much text and are they bordered or are there graphics?

I learned my lesson a long time ago just quoting a job on size and not content
    Some of these colors may take an extra pass or slow down engraving to get it clean.

Also timing depends on your laser power.

For those who want to estimate timing, I suggest laying out one row all the way across. Run that then multiply it by the number of rows. That will get you close if they are similar.

Also I may suggest a log book with a copy of the layout, then record your settings as well as the time it took to run, clean-up etc, This will allow you to
    get a decent estimate without running the job first.

I keep my pricing pretty much on the lower scale, I do have customers that get quotes elseware, but more often they end up back with me.

Some shops run lower resolution to save time, but it does show in quality. When you quote make a sample at different resolutions so they can see the difference. Explain how some shops can bid lower by running the job at a lower res. Lower res. may be fine for their application and then you can give a more competative bid. I find the customer is appreciative when I help
    by doing this.

Customers do tell stories to try to get it cheaper, sometimes they lead us down a path and we tend to follow.

Also there are many types of plastics available, make sure what you pick fits
    their usage.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I just laser engrave 8.5" x 11" and two 8" x 5" on textured plastic (text only). Do you charge .50 sq/in for these larger sizes as well? The 8.5" x 11" would be $46.75.
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)