Thread: Hi, again and safety question

Hi, again and safety question

Hi all! I've not logged on in some time and happy to see alot of new faces. Been very busy with work and family (new baby boy arrived last Friday ).

Anyway, to the safety question. I'm looking at purchasing some new router bits. Is it necessary, for safety's sake, to get 1/2 inch shanks or will 1/4 inch do? I use some hardwoods, but don't do molding or cabinets or anything like that. Just basic hobby stuff and simple furniture. I've always used 1/4 before but some folks are telling me 1/2 is the only safe bet. Any advice?

BTW, the router is a 2 1/4 HP if that makes any difference. I do equal amounts free hand and router table action.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1/2" are the same price as 1/4", but much safer. Less vibration, etc. I do not buy 1/4" anymore if a 1/2" is available.

Ted -

Congratulations on the new arrival! You have been busy with all the preps for that event.

I buy ½" bits whenever possible. They are a little beefier and there is some safety factor with a larger shank. The only time I get ¼" shank is when the profile is not available with a ½" shank. Even go so far as to get 8mm shanks on the bits in my dovetail set.

Regards,
    Ted

To my knowledge there is no real "safety factor" in getting 1/2" over 1/4". Sure, the larger shanks are stronger but if the bits weren't safe they wouldn't be sold simply because of the liability factor. That said, 1/2" shanks will give you a better cut due to less flexing/vibration just because they are larger. I always buy 1/2" if it's available.

Vote for 1/2

I buy only 1/2 bits for many reasons. Less wobbling and safety being 2 of them. IMO, best way to go for WW!
    Jerry

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!!

1/2" shank cutters have four times the metal than 1/4" bits. No question you should use them whenever possible...and with the exceptions of dovetail jigs and a few other things...that means virtually all the time. Strong is good. More metal equals stronger.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ted....congrats on the new family addition! My first router was a low powered Craftsman and it would only take 1/4" bits....so I have some. My new PC takes 1/2" or 1/4". I'm with the others......use 1/2" if the profile is available.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It might help to understand why a 1/2" shank bit is "safer" than a 1/4" shank bit.

As a number of folks have pointed out the thicker shank makes it "stronger". The term we should use is "stiffer". Just as using a deeper floor joist makes for a stiffer, less bouncy floor - using a thicker shank on a router bit (or a larger shaft on a shaper) makes for a stiffer bit. That stiffness translates into less flex when you push the bit sideways into the wood. Less flex is "safer", but can also produce a cleaner cut because the bit won't "micro-wobble" as much.

The only time I'd say that safety is really an issue is with larger router bits. You can get panel raising bits with a 1/4" shaft, but I sure wouldn't use one.

Another benefit to a 1/2" shank is that the larger shank gives more surface area for the collet to grab, which means the bit is held into the router more securely.