Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop competition or alternatives

Sawstop competition or alternatives

After accidently cutting my thumb on my Delta contractor table saw, I'm seriously considering putting a Sawstop in the budget. I was fortunate, my cut wasn't too deep, no cut tendons but a few nerves, 7 stitches. First accident like this in 40 yrs. My question - is there any other cabinet saws with Sawstop technology? It's amazing (at least to me) that Grizzly, Delta, and others haven't come up with similar equipment. I would appreciate any suggestions.

check the manual for your saw. it says...

1) don't put your hand in the path of the blade
    2) use push sticks, not fingers
    3) don't cut warped/twisted lumber on a table saw
    4) maintain pressure against the fence or miter guage
    5) don't freehand cuts
    6) don't stand in the path of potential kick backs while ripping boards

do all of those things in the safety manual and you won't get hurt. and unlike sawstops, all of those things in your saw's safety manual are free. what a bargain!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-24-2010 at 1:46 AM. Reason: removed off topic material

You have basically two options:

1. Get a Sawstop

2. make another saw as safe as possible:
    a. get a "newer" saw with a true riving knife
    b. get a quality over-arm guard (Brett, Excaliber etc) and use it
    c. uses proper feeding devices (ie Grrripper) for dangerous cuts
    d. be vigilent about safety

3. get a slider and make it as safe as possible with a mix of the above

With a true riving knife you will reduce the chance of kickback significantly and thus the associated hand in blade jerk. With a good solid over-arm guard you reduce the chance of hand to blade contact signficantly as well, with through and non-through cuts.

Lets not let this thread go downhill, don't forget the sticky on SS threads...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 05-22-2010 at 4:28 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bob, to my knowledge SS is the only one with this technology. I would be surprised if some of the other manufactures weren’t at least looking at developing something along the same lines.

Neal, in a perfect world we wouldn’t need safety options, and people would never make a mistake. I’m not perfect, are you?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

SS or Euro Sliders seem to be the safest (or safer) saws out there.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Let's just answer Bob's question and be done with it. I don't see a need to lecture or belittle him.

Bob, right now, there is no other saw with skin-cutting safety technology. There are whispers here and there of other companies developing similar tech, but nothing concrete. I imagine any competing designs/patents are at least a few years away. Even if other companies end up simply licensing SS technology, those saws are IMO also some time away.

As other mentioned, you could try making your current or a cheaper new saw safer by using more robust blade guards and safety devices.

Only you can decide whether SS technology is right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Let's just answer Bob's question and be done with it. I don't see a need to lecture or belittle him.
    I agree.
    There is only one saw with the technology. SawStop.
    Instead of spending the bucks on that saw, I bought a couple Grr-Rippers.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Sawstop has a patent and thus a lock on the technology for another 15 years ( a total of 20). Other manufacturers have tried to license it but have not come to terms with the pricing from SS.

Other flesh saving alternatives may be a track saw, or a euro slider.

Otherwise Sawstop is the only game in town.

Vijay

Alternatives

Bob
    If you are not using your blade guards or your saw did not come with any, check out Shark Guards. www.leestyron.com Tom

There is a guard, that is similar tech to the sawstop (physical contact causes it to kill the saw), but it isn't on any by default yet. I also haven't seen reports that it can be bought separately yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    There is a guard, that is similar tech to the sawstop (physical contact causes it to kill the saw), but it isn't on any by default yet. I also haven't seen reports that it can be bought separately yet.
    I think it's called the "Whirlwind" or something, but isn't even close to being commercially available, and it's basically just a regular overarm guard that shuts the saw off if you touch it. Not very useful, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    After accidently cutting my thumb on my Delta contractor table saw, I'm seriously considering putting a Sawstop in the budget. I was fortunate, my cut wasn't too deep, no cut tendons but a few nerves, 7 stitches. First accident like this in 40 yrs. My question - is there any other cabinet saws with Sawstop technology? It's amazing (at least to me) that Grizzly, Delta, and others haven't come up with similar equipment. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Hi Bob, I'm glad to hear that the injury wasn't more serious, and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

SS is the only flesh sensing/blade braking system on the market.

I view SS as a secondary protection system, it's meant to save you from the extremely rare instance when blade guarding fails and you need a back up safety system.

Injury prevention is normally viewed in the following steps, with the first step being the most favourite.

1) Engineer out the hazard, for example use a mechanical feeder so people aren't involved

2) Provide suitable guards so that operators cannot contact the cutters, and use other devices such as push blocks etc.

3) Provide suitable personal protective equipment (glasses, ear muffs etc).

So for a table saw, always use a guard. If the stock guard doesn't work for the operation you have 2 choices, use a machine meant for that operation, or purchase/build a different guard that provides suitable protection.

For example, since most stock guards don't allow non through cuts, don't do them on the table saw, or purchase an overarm guard such as an Excalibur.

If you cannot come up with a guard for a tenon jig for example, don't use it on the saw. (That's why I now cut tenons on the shaper, an overhead guard and a dado cutter are also a suitable solution for a table saw).

The SS technology is ground breaking, and in my opinion the only significant improvement to the North American cabinet saw.

If you cannot train yourself to follow steps 1 through 3 above, then the SS is your only viable solution.

If you can retrain yourself to follow the above steps, and buy a SS as well, then you have a backup safety plan as well as a primary plan.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a saw without an overhead guard and a riving knife, that's the bare minimum.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Then you can get into fence designs, the typical NA saw only has one fence configuration, Euro saws, and the Delta Unifence??? have 3 operating configurations to increase operator safety.

P.P.S. If you want could you provide some info such as the accident parameters such as operation, safety equipment in use at the time etc
    ?

Blog Entries
    Bab made it pretty clear that this was the 'first blood', so to speak, in 40 years. I think we can assume he knows how to work around a saw. This one time, 'something' happened and it sounds as though he is interested in protecting against that rare occurrence should it come around again.

All that said, Saw Stop is the only machine with their technology.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This thread is now closed.

It has outlived it's useful purpose.

I reconsidered it. It was a lot of work but I edited out anything that wasn't directly related to the OPs topic......SawStop or any alternatives.

This thread is NOT about debating SawStop's history, or it's technology....it's about is there any alternatives available today.

If your post has been edited or deleted, it wasn't on topic or germane to the subject. Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed again.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-24-2010 at 2:04 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As has been posted, SawStop is the only option TODAY with the technology that can be purchased.

The next question: When will there be other options, and can I (should I) wait until other options are available?

With all the publicity related to SawStop, I expect other options will come around sooner - rather than later.

Depending on how long it takes to save up the money, there may be something else available to purchase when the time comes. I have not seen/heard anything about what may be coming anytime soon - but maybe someone has ?