Thread: Where Do You Buy Epoxy Resin

Where Do You Buy Epoxy Resin

I am thinking of buying from Woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...1-12-Pint.aspx
    I would like to use it for knot holes in maple before planing. Is this ok? Is there a less expensive alternative? What do you use for this type of application?

James

I'm sure that would be fine. I've worked extensively with epoxies for many years as a boat carpenter. Any decent brand should be producing adequate resin and hardener. Personally, I buy West System and just use it for everything that requires glue. You can mix in anything from sawdust to flour to microballoons. Epoxy is a fairly versatile product.

+1 on the West System products. Excellent stuff, and the calibrated spigots make it easy to get the right proportion of resin and hardener, every time.

Further seconded by me. If you are planning to plane it make sure you wait 48 hours for it to cure well enough to plane overnight is too short.

Added in an edit - for the knot holes you way want to colour it. There are various black stains that work well - I've used the MAS black pigment with the West Systems successfully. The West System Black pigment would work well too. The MAS was the first I came across when I went looking

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Lawson; 05-23-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Tim Lawson
    Port Townsend School of Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    This is really interesting. Has anyone else used the US Composites Epoxy. I like the below portion of there Faq.

6. How can you sell your epoxy for so much less than your competitors?
    We are able to keep our prices so low because we buy direct from the manufacturer and sell directly to you. All of our epoxy systems are of the highest quality and are all proudly Made in the USA.

I was aware of the WEST system and the it is probably the gold standard. But just a one quart setup would be about $75. Seemed a bit steep to me. The US Composites would be half that. So would the System 3 option from Woodcraft.

Seems that anything Marine related is going to cost you big bucks!

James

Try this place. They have the best prices I have found

http://www.uscomposites.com/
    Diamanwoodcrafters

I have bought from 'polymerproducts' on ebay. They sell a complete line (slow to fast setting). Good product and very good prices. I have bought about 5 quarts so far.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhard Lampert View Post
    I have bought from 'polymerproducts' on ebay. They sell a complete line (slow to fast setting). Good product and very good prices. I have bought about 5 quarts so far.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard
    Thank you for posting another option. They have allot of neat products. Check out auction 310219352478. Its a shame there shipping is so high.

James

I've used 3 quarts of the US composites epoxy in the last year. At $65, it's 1/3 the price of the West Systems, and appears to be very comparable. Although the slow hardener is a bit slower. The only time I'll use West Systems again is if I need the clear hardener they offer (107?)
    I was aware of the WEST system and the it is probably the gold standard. But just a one quart setup would be about $75. Seemed a bit steep to me. The US Composites would be half that. So would the System 3 option from Woodcraft.
    You're only getting half as much with the System 3. It's basically the same price as West Systems.