Thread: Wondering if I got a good deal?

Wondering if I got a good deal?

Yesterday I went to a garage sale and a guy had some woodworking tools. I was looking at a drill press attachment (mortise jig), he said he had a real one out back and wanted to know if I was interested? So we took a look and he had a Jet JBM-5 1/2 hp Mortise Machine. I bought it and it came with a 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" chisel set. The 1/4" in chisel is the only one that has been used. The machine looks like it has been used less than ten times. Ok, enough, I paid $100, did I get a deal?

You got a good deal. I'll let others chime in on how much they paid. You will be much happier with the benchtop model than the drill press setup.

Thanks Andrew.

I think I'm going to like it.

You did well.

IF you do much mortising, you will get your $100-worth! It's $298.49 at Amazon! DP attachments do work for mortising, but its a pain to change back and forth!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I STRONGLY ADVISE against using a drill press mortising attachment. You could so easily break the gear rack cut into the WEAK cast iron spindle. I've seen a very heavy duty old 20" Delta drill press ruined that way. And it probably had much better quality cast iron than a new import.

Ramsey Ramco Guest
    Great deal I paid almost $375 by the time I got the spare bits

Does this answer your question?

"YOU SUCK!"