Thread: Grizzly G0609X Setup Problem

Grizzly G0609X Setup Problem

I have just received my new jointer and am in the process of setup, but am having a problem with adjusting the outfeed table. I loosened off both jam nuts and table lock lever and when I turn the handwheel it moves just a small amount before encountering significant resistance in both directions. Almost feels like I'm running up against a stop. I would not be worried except I can't lower the table to the height of the cutter knives. I am trying to do the procedure to check for parallelism. It says to lower the table so that a straightedge just touches to cutterhead body. With the spiral head it would seem ok to use the knife edges as references, since they are not adjustable, but I can't get the table to the knife edge height, nevermind to the body of the cutterhead. If you have this machine I would really appreciate your advice. Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help.
    Hans Braul
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

I don't have that particular model, but many of the Griz jointers have travel limit stops in both directions on each table. (Mine was shipped with the stops set to restrict table movement entirely.) Check the manual. You probably just need to loosen the locknuts and back them off.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    I don't have that particular model, but many of the Griz jointers have travel limit stops in both directions on each table. (Mine was shipped with the stops set to restrict table movement entirely.) Check the manual. You probably just need to loosen the locknuts and back them off.
    There are travel limit stops that are set by lock nuts, but I backed them both off, to no avail. Are there any other stops I should consider? No other hints in the manual

Regards
    Hans

The gibs may be set too tight to allow the movement.

Problem solved - duh....
    Although I backed off the lock nuts I failed to adjust the stop bolt. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Hans